Need help to connect to a database

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Need help to connect to a database

Question Need help to connect to a database

Hello all!

I'm in the process of designing a new vb 6.0 app which will need to connect to a database.

I have the database tables stored on a computer here at the office - that's easy enough for those of here to be able to access.

But I have guys out in the field that also need to have access to those tables.

I'm hoping that I can employ 1 connection string so that no matter where a user is they can access that database.

The storage computer only has the Access tables and is running Win98. Do I need to install SQL Server on that computer in order for the app to access the tables?

I'm not sure if I'm asking the question properly. I've already tried setting up a DSN and like I said - that seems to be fine if only those of us here in the office are using it.

I also have the tables stored in a subfolder on our company website - there are a couple of tables in there that receive data from a couple of forms on the website.

Any help will be most gratefully appreciated!!

How do those out in the field access your network? Do you have a VPN? Do you use dial-up to a Windows Terminal Server machine?

Or, is access only available through your company web site?
    Paul
    ~~~~
    Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

They do not currently have access to the office network - they only have access to the database on the website.

I think we have a VPN here - I'm not good with networking and I'm the only one here who knows how to turn on a computer (if you know what I mean *chuckles).

If I didn't have guys all over the state of Florida it would be a non-issue for me - I know how to get access to another computer in another room.

I haven't used it before but you might want to take a look at RDS:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...rdsproblem.asp

The only other option I can think of would be to create a web service to feed the data. If you're using VB 6.0 that would require the Soap Toolkit.
    Paul
    ~~~~

I thank you for your help, Paul.

I read through the RDS links you sent me and I'm going to have to read through them again to clarify a few things.

I think one of the first things I'm going to start with is upgrading that other computer to Win2k Server - cheap and easy enough to do.

I've also contacted my web host about this to see if they have any suggestions on directly connecting to our database with a local app.

The only reason I want to have a front-end is because I want to still be able to generate and print standard reports that I've designed in Access. I don't like printing from the web for numerous reasons - namely the browser headers and footers. I know how to disable them through page setup - but I don't want them disabled for all websites. And I know my guys wouldn't do it right even if I did it for them.
    If you have any other suggestions about what I'm trying to accomplish please let me know - I'd really like to get this project out of the way and get back to my real job *chuckles*

Again - I do appreciate your help and will look further into RDS (I haven't had the chance to look at the SOAP kit yet).

A VPN to a Terminal Server machine would probably the easiest way to provide access to your database, especially if you need to view Access reports (which requires Microsoft Access). A VPN will get the users "on" the network from a remote location over the Internet. The fun part of course is setting this up and making certain that the environment is secure.

If you use HTTP as your data transport mechanism then I'm afraid you're looking at a custom solution w/o being able to use applications such as Microsoft Access.
    Paul
    ~~~~

Alrighty then - I think I can take it from here - have alot more homework to do but at least now I have a clear direction.

Thanks again Paul!

is the probelsm sovled?