Shifting to Java

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Shifting to Java

Exclamation Shifting to Java

Hello everybody,
    I know i wud sound stupid, but this is one thing where i wud like to b heard and answered seriously. I am currently working in VB6 and after visiting few exibitions and Fairs, i am keen to start with Java Programming. The problem is what to learn dat is currently hot in the market or wht dat wud be in hot demand after 1 year or later. Going by my skills, I believe i can learn the core java part (uptill Swings) in 5-6 months time.
    What everybody tells me is dat swing is the point where i've to learn Java in any case , whether i want to go in J2EE, J2ME or any other technology of Java.
    Although many friends had been suggesting to go in DataWareHousing or ERP, but i can feel the excitement already to learn Java.
    So,
    1) What shud i learn in Java dat is in demand.
    2) Swings are must or they are not!!!
    3) Java is in demard or not, since many had been suggesting to stick to VB6 and move on to .Net
    4) I've personally identified J2ME and Java Card Technolgy as a market soon in demand. Hw true is this ?!?!?
    regards to all
    sorry for putting this post here..shud have put in career forum...sorry ..found appropriate forum for these type of query a little late...
    Last edited by AashuKapil; 09-17-2005 at 10:35 AM.

1) learn java GUI programming
    2) swing is a must
    .... not sure about the rest
    eschew obfuscation

Make sure that you have a strong foundation in OOPS concepts. It is must to know Core Java & then move on to Swings or J2ee.

I have seen lots of guys who only knows only j2ee but dont know the core java or OOPS concepts, amazingly funny!!!.

why java ?
    Because java is the best in OOP, multioperatingsystem, multidevices (ex : J2ME) and open source development tools

why not ?
    dotnet, vb, vc++ offer a very good integrated development environment better than any java tools not even compare to jBuilder (but still jbuilder is the best IDE for me)

so what now ?
    do not depend on one specific development tools, but concentrate more on the concept such as : OOP, efficient database concept, modular and parameterize programming, extreme programming. If we are very good in those concept, then adapting our skill to a certain tools :java, j2me, dotnet, vb, delphi should be much more easier.

thanks

hera HEAR !!
    eschew obfuscation

Hi Ashari
    u r correct probably..infact i checked ur post today (24-09-05) and i was already upon VB.net (half way), i've started concentrating on OOPS skills and back end connectivity. Yes true, if one masters conceptual skills and programming skills in any one language, learning any other language may not require much of an effort.
    warm rgds to all. I hope this thread wud be, a lot of use to many other freshers too, that are misguided by commercial institutes who eye upon only the money in student's pocket.
    Thanx and plz keep adding, all of u.
    Aashu

How learning how to spell first? Posts like these are hard to take seriously when one will not even take the time to use correct spelling or grammar.

Now, to answer your question. It would absolutely be of great benefit to learn Java. If you are coming from VB 6, then odds are you do not have a solid foundation in Object Oriented concepts. Java is a great language to learn this, and this knowledge can be directly leveraged to learn other languages and platforms, such as .NET.

Hi Everybody,

I am new to java technology and currently stuck on using avalon,batik....
    Could anybody help me out please....

Thanks in Advance
    Tajinder Singh

I for one think Swing is not a must, but that's mostly dependant on where you want to go with Java. If you are mostly interested in server-side programming. Odds are you never see one line of Swing. However, if you are more into front-end programming, Swing is definately something you need to look into.

Mark