Excel doc exported to html does not work properly in IE 6.0.2900 SP2 for WinXP

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Excel doc exported to html does not work properly in IE 6.0.2900 SP2 for WinXP

Hybrid View

Angry Excel doc exported to html does not work properly in IE 6.0.2900 SP2 for WinXP

Hi all. I couldn't found a more proper forum to place this.

I have an Excel document. The doc has both text and graphics (more specific: a simple rectangle from the drawing bar) with hyperlinks. ALL the hyperlinks open another sheets on the same document.

You save the doc a HTML via the File->Save as web page menu item

When you open the .htm file, the text hyperlinks works great, but the ones in the graphics don't open the sheet, but it opens the about:blank page. There's no VB/JS error, etc. This error happens in IE Version: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 Update Versions:; SP2 for WinXP Prof. Edition Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 : Service Pack 2).

If you open the same file on IE 6.0.2800.1106 Update Versions:; SP1; Q867801; Q823353; Q833989; Q903235 for Win2000, all the links work great. If you open the same file in Netscape Navigator, it works great too (both in Win2000 and WinXP).

This leads that the problem is in the IE in WinXP, maybe because of the version, maybe because of a security issue (when Excel exports to html it creates frames) or something.

If instead of using links to sheets, you use links to web pages, it works OK. The problem araises when using hyperlinks to sheets.

I hope you can help me with this problem, because we can't stop using Win2000 and migrate to WinXP/Win2003 until we know we won't have problems like this.

Thank you in advance.

If I understand the problem correctly, it sounds like it might be a documented bug. See if the following helps:

XL2002 : Hyperlink Syntax Does Not Save Correctly When You Save an Excel File as an HTML Page
    Paul
    ~~~~
    Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Unhappy It didn't work

Hello. Thank you for your quick response.

I tried fixing this by installing the patches located in the URL you provided me. It didn't solve anything.

Of course I saved tje file as web page in Excel 2000 and Excel 2003. The problem is not on the Excel when saving, but in the IE when reading the file.

I attached a ZIP file containing both the XLS and the HTML files. Some of the squares with links don't have an cross-sheet link.

The messages in the XLS file are in spanish, but it doesn't really matter due the problem is clear.

Thank you a lot.
    Attached Files Attached Files