Want to avoid session variable to reduce the form size

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Want to avoid session variable to reduce the form size

Exclamation Want to avoid session variable to reduce the form size

hi,
    I have 4 forms all having 40 fields in datagrid,I have two textBoxes for date and country,
    according to my requirement if i have set date and country in one form then if i go to another form then data shld be loaded according the filled entries in first form,but in that case the form size increase, so i want any other alternatve to maintain the date and country name without increasing the form size.

plz dont suggest me for Querystring bcz i can access this form any time and from any form(not containing date and country textBox).

Thanks In Advance
    thanks
    raj

the title of the article says want to avoid session so does that mean you are using session right now?
    Sri

yes rightnow i am using session variable and i want to avoid it.
    thanks
    raj

Hi
    Normally the page size of the response increases in size with a increased usage of viewstate, there is also a very minimal effect of using long variable names for controls inside the grid if there are any, because child ids are created using a string pattern and there are other things

Session state is on the server if i am not wrong and increases server load and uses server memory(inproc mode) it doesnt use the page itself to store state, rather than page size but i dont want to assume things, because there are in proc and other modes of session to persist session state, Another question all four forms use 40 fields in a datagrid are you caching/ or putting the data in viewstate? are you saying your grid has 40 columns?

I see the reason for using the session for datetime and country as a way to communicate between forms and as you say you dont want query strings , the last thing you can do is have traditional hidden fields but what good is it , this is what the viewstate does for you. I dont think you should be attacking the page size with just two objects in session , look for the bigger fish of reducing the page size with stuff associated with the datagrid , it is normally the culprit to increase page size... with its viewstate and also the dataset

Do you think that helps , if i was right in saying you have 40 columns in your grid do something about it not the two variables in session
    Sri