null pointer exception in servlet

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: null pointer exception in servlet

null pointer exception in servlet

Hi,

I have a a minor but fustrating problem with trying to run a servlet. I'm using Netbeans 5.0 to run this servlet. The thing is, that when I run the servlet on my PC at home it works fine - but when I try to run the same servlet in college it points out that there is a null pointer exception!. This servlet uses a http protcol in the doGet method to try and access a website.
    I'm fairly sure that the problem lies with the fact that I'm behind a proxy server in College, whereas this is not the case at home. However, I have tried using code that bypasses the firewall but the servlet still wont work. (Even though this firewall code defnitley works). Could someone please explain why I'm getting a null pointer exception..

I was trying to do the same thing, running the servlet from my server and trying to access it using a browser. If you try to run 2 requests and you get a null pointer exception, change ur IE settings and make sure that its set to fetch the page everytime u pass the request.

I hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by bdjos1
    Hi,

I have a a minor but fustrating problem with trying to run a servlet. I'm using Netbeans 5.0 to run this servlet. The thing is, that when I run the servlet on my PC at home it works fine - but when I try to run the same servlet in college it points out that there is a null pointer exception!. This servlet uses a http protcol in the doGet method to try and access a website.
    I'm fairly sure that the problem lies with the fact that I'm behind a proxy server in College, whereas this is not the case at home. However, I have tried using code that bypasses the firewall but the servlet still wont work. (Even though this firewall code defnitley works). Could someone please explain why I'm getting a null pointer exception..
    please can u attach the code , thank you ...