Change Image Resolution

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Change Image Resolution

Change Image Resolution

I am using VB6-SP6. I have a function that allows the user to load a JPG or BMP file into an Image Box control on a form. The picture is then stored in the Access DB that is the backend to my app. My issue is that if the graphic resolution is high, it obviously adds a lot to the size of the Access DB. As the graphic does not need to be displayed at a high resolution, I am trying to find a way to reduce the resolution of the graphic when it is selected to be reduced to 640x480. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

My optimal goal would be to reduce the resolution (proportionally, of course) to the closest resolution to 640x480 as some of the graphics are not on a proportional scale to 640x480 (some of the graphics might be 1536x2048 or so on).

Thanks,
    The Merg
    Today's problems don't worry me,
    I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

Put a PictureBox in your form (it can be invisible), and set the AutoRedraw to True (so it keeps the image in memory)
    Load your file in a StdImage, resize the PictireBox as you wish, and paint the image into it. Save the Image.
    Marco

Code:
        Dim std As StdPicture
        Set std = LoadPicture( ... the name of the image file ... )
        With Picture1
            .AutoRedraw = True
            .Width = 640 * Screen.TwipsPerPixelX '' 640 pixels
            .Height = .Width * std.Height / std.Width '' keep the rigth aspect ratio
            .PaintPicture std, 0, 0, .Width, .Height
            SavePicture .Image, "c:\w.jpg"  '' save the Image, not the Picture!
        End With
    "There are two ways to write error-free programs. Only the third one works."
    Unknown

That code is very close to what I'm looking for. However, I don't necessarily need to have the graphic resaved in the smaller resolution. I just want the graphic to be resized when it is loaded into the app so that when it is stored in the Access DB it will take up less space.

Can I possibly use the code you specified with an Image Box and take advantage of the Image Box's stretch property?

Thanks,
    The Merg

Well, I gave your code a try. At the end, instead of doing the SavePicture commmand, I just assigned the .Image property to the ImageBox that I use to display the picture. The image is then saved into the database when the record is updated.

Works great! Thanks!

- The Merg

Quote Originally Posted by The Merg
    Well, I gave your code a try. At the end, instead of doing the SavePicture commmand, I just assigned the .Image property to the ImageBox that I use to display the picture. The image is then saved into the database when the record is updated.

Works great! Thanks!

- The Merg
    you are welcome.
    As you found out, in my code I was saving the resolved picture in a file as an example (and to test that it was working) on how to use the Image property to get the image back

Marco
    "There are two ways to write error-free programs. Only the third one works."
    Unknown

in order to get the closest resolution you want. you can either resize images c# or scale to the size you think it is proper and the save the image.

Quote Originally Posted by drimage View Post
    in order to get the closest resolution you want. you can either resize images c# or scale to the size you think it is proper and the save the image.
    Well, as you can see I've already resolved the issue, plus that was from over 7 years ago...

- Merg