what language or course to study for web development

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what language or course to study for web development

Question what language or course to study for web development

I want to learn how to make my own web site. Currently I have one I built with Front Page. But it will not allow me to make https secure pages for when people enter sensitive information like credit card numbers.

I would like to learn a web language anyways rather than relying on Front Page.

Is XML the one to go with? What is the latest thing? I thought I would take a course or get a book and study it but am not sure which language to go with or which book to get.

Thanks for any advice,

Rae

HTML is still the standard formatting language for the web, and the styling should be done with CSS. If you learn those 2 things, you'll be in decent shape. Of course javascript is nice for animating the page, but it's not a must

Thanks for the reply.

I have Visual Studio .Net 2003. I've never used it. I know a little VB6 and put together a program that uses an Access table and dao in that a few years back but the .net edition is so different I never tried using it.

Which application in that should I open and start exploring to build a website in Visual Studio .Net ? Or should I get some other type of software for a beginner ?

Thanks
    RAe

What kinds of sites are we talking about here? Database driven sites? Because that's basically the only time you'd need any active serverside scripting. And anything you write could be written in notepad, but you can also use a program if you like

Web development in .NET

Rae,

If you are going to experiment with Web development in Visual Studio, you want to create an ASP.NET application.

Lori

Thanks Lori. I will try exploring the VS .net. JP: I don't know the difference between a "database driven" site as opposed to another one. You are assuming that I understand these terms. I'm a beginner so that doesn't mean anything to me. But thanks anyway. Is FrontPage a database driven site for example?

Rae,

A database-driven site is one that allows a user to look up or store data. In your first note you mentioned using ecommerce, which is a classic example of a data-driven site: If you're going to accept credit cards, you need a database to store your customer data and transactions as well as your inventory (unless you only sell one thing).

FrontPage is not a Web site but a tool for building Web sites. FrontPage 2003 does allow you to create data-driven sites but not as a standalone tool. You have to use FrontPage in conjunction with other technologies. Before you can start creating your site, you will need to sit down and think about the architecture of your site. What data do you need to store and how do you want to store it? You have a number of options but as you are a beginner it will take you some time to learn which one is best. This article may help you and since you are familiar with FrontPage, I recommend that you read some of the articles that are provided on the FrontPage support site. Microsoft provides pretty good information about what can and can't be done.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...489401033.aspx
    Door:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...018031033.aspx

Finally, you don't need to learn how to hand-write HTML, in my opinion. It's a good thing to know, to be sure, and you absolutely should know basic tags and attributes and how to modify them, but to create a robust data-driven site you will need tools and the tools will do much of the coding for you. IOW, you needn't eschew using FrontPage if that tools works for you. Rather, you need to investigate how to use FrontPage with other technologies that will take you beyond a static HTML page.

Lori

Lori

Thanks. I wanted to get away from FrontPage and learn new things. One reason I wanted to stop using FrontPage is because I could not create a secure web page using ssl for credit card purchasers. I called Front Page sometime back and asked if their newest version at that time would allow me to create a https page and they told me "no." I wanted to start learning something new anyway.

I just tried doing the Asp.Net Web applications walk-through from the book that came with the software to create a web application using visual basic and hit a dead end at the part where you "create the Data-Acces Component".
    I then saw at the front of the chapter that it states that to do the walk throughs you must have access to (1)Internet Informatin Services 5.0 with FrontPage Server Extensions installed and (2) SQL Server 7.0 or later hosting the pubs database which is one of the sample databases that ships with SQL Server 7. I thought I had everything but I guess I don't.
    So I guess I need to purchase this SQL Server 7 and Internet information Services? Or is there a free download for a person just learning?

I also checked my control panel and I don't have anything named IIS or internet Information Services.

RAe

Rae,

Yes, you need both of those things. Visual Studio is creating the pages or client-side code for you but it needs to work in conjunction with other technologies. There is no way to create a data-driven site using just one tool.

SQL Server is a database. You can download SQL Server 2005 Express here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    SQL Server Express is a limited functionality version of the database. Hopefully it will have the features you need but if you find that it doesn't you will have to buy a server license from Microsoft.

IIS is a Web server. Again, normally you would acquire IIS by purchasing a Windows Server license but Visual Studio has a free personal version of IIS. When you installed ASP.NET it probably asked you whether you wanted to install this (although it may have called it something other than IIS). If you said yes it should already be working. If you said no, you might have to use the Help in VS to figure out how to turn it on as I don't know offhand how you would do that.

Lori

Thanks so much. I downloaded the SQL but have not yet installed it and will try to see how to get the IIS working. Maybe if I reinsert the disk it will allow me to add it.

Rae

Rae,

You should read this. I think it will help you: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...quirements.asp

Hi: Thank you. Yes, I had found that info yesterday while searching the help menu within Visual Studio under IIS, "installing". I followed all of the steps to install it and then reinstalled/repaired with the prerequistes CD as well as later reinstalling the Visual Studio .net CD. Each time after each step, I checked my control panel, add/remove programs and IIS does not appear there. When I click on the add components button to add it in control panel, when that window comes up, it shows that IIS is already checked in a dark gray box. I unchecked then rechecked and it appears to go through the installation procedure to install. But each time, no matter what I do, it does not appear in my add/remove programs. It also does not appear under control panel/administrative tools/computer management/Services and Applications when I expand that folder.
    I have also tried putting in my XP Professional CD and adding new components under control panel with that CD in but no difference. I have not yet installed the SQL express edition yet. Do I need to install that first perhaps? Isn't IIS supposed to appear in the add/remove programs?

If you see it under Add/Remove Components, that's good enough. You should not expect it to appear under programs too.

Lori

Lori:
    I tried running the SQL express 2005 and I got a message "The MS .net framework 2.0 is not installed. Please install before running setup." I have Visual Studio .Net 1.1 .
    Should I still install this Microsoft.Net framework 2 ? I thought I had read somewhere that if you had 1.1 you did not need to install this. Maybe I have it mixed up with something else regarding 1.1.

Rae,

I didn't think you would need to upgrade the framework either but I guess we were wrong. The 2.0 framework is free though so go ahead and install it. Install the Redistributable Package and then the SDK, per the instructions.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframewo...s/default.aspx

One thing to keep in mind, if you move beyond the point at which you are just experimenting and decide to really do some Web development with ASP.NET you are probably going to need to upgrade your operating system. I don't know what OS you are using but I assume that it is not XP Professional or Windows Server. Those operating systems will generally have the components and prerequisites you need to ensure that you can deploy your applications with the least amount of hassle.

Lori