SQL Insert data in Multiple table and Update at same time

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: SQL Insert data in Multiple table and Update at same time

SQL Insert data in Multiple table and Update at same time

Hi

I have a question about How to insert and update data using Multiple tables . I need to insert data into two SQL table from one query ( insert statement ) and able to update that tables with a one update command . How do I do that . I think I have to use Inner jnoin but it is not working . Can any one give me the syntax of the SQL statement . I am using SQL server 2000 .

Thanks

I believe you may only INSERT into or UPDATE one table per SQL statement. You may, however, include multiple statements in a single query; separate the statement with a semi-colon.
    Phil Weber
    http://www.philweber.com

Please post questions to the forums, where others may benefit.
    I do not offer free assistance by e-mail. Thank you!

Insert and update multiple tables at at time

Hi

Thanks for your reply . It worked . I can insert and update multiple SQL Server table at same time now

Thanks

Hi,

I am trying to do something similar, but have not been able to figure out how to insert data on two different tables from one submission form.

For example, I have a form that asks for the following data (from users registering):

Username
    Password
    Email Address

I would like to insert username and password in one table (table1) and the email address in a different table (table2).

I am using PHP/MySQL for this.

How would I insert data from one form into two tables?

Thanks for you help,

Ray

Phil Weber
    http://www.philweber.com

Please post questions to the forums, where others may benefit.
    I do not offer free assistance by e-mail. Thank you!

I'm really struggling with inserting data to more than one table from a single form as well. Starting to think it might make more sense to load all the form data to a single table and query just the single. If inserting INTO more than one table is this much hassle, I can only imagine how successfully querying OUT OF more than one will be. ;-) Has anyone seen any good tutorials with examples for PHP and MySQL on the net?

How to insert records into both the tables in a "single query" in SQL SERVER 2005

Welcome to DevX
    Quote Originally Posted by ramakrishnan
    How to insert records into both the tables in a "single query" in SQL SERVER 2005
    I believe this still applies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Weber
    I believe you may only INSERT into or UPDATE one table per SQL statement. You may, however, include multiple statements in a single query; separate the statement with a semi-colon.
    Any particular reason why you don't want to use more than one SQL statement?
    I don't answer coding questions via PM or Email. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum section.
    Please use [Code]your code goes in here[/Code] tags when posting code.
    Before posting your question, did you look here?
    Got a question on Linux? Visit our Linux sister site.
    Modifications Required For VB6 Apps To Work On Vista

Phil's feedback would be a tad clearer if it said you can string one SQL statement after another, seperated by semi-colons (for those who do not yet really understand that multiple SQL Statements can make up a query).
    However, this is not the same as creating one SQL Statement to insert into multiple tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Weber View Post
    Thank you so much Phil!
    I've never really had experience with SQL databases before and I've been looking for a way to UPDATE multiple tables in one SQL statement without success...

Rather stupid as it sounds, I hadn't thought about just seperating the statement into multiple statements with a semi-colon!
    Unfortunately, I seem to have drawn the short-straw on integrating a clients SQL database with our system while our database engineer is AWOL, so this post has pretty much just saved my life!

~ Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Weber View Post
    Alternately you can place a go inbetween statements. If all transactions must complete before committing you can surround your statements with a begin tran and commit tran or rollback tran if something went wrong.