Remote Compilation of VB program

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Remote Compilation of VB program

Remote Compilation of VB program

Hi All,

I am facing a problem with VB compilation in my company. Actually, I have to create my VB programs on one of the business specific server. But I can not compile the program on the server machine. It is a seperate non-server machine with compilation environment (with all specific dlls). For this I physically need to go to the compilation machine, everytime I need to compile my code.

Please help me in this regard. I want to remotely compile the code from server machine, by deploying it to the compilation machine (In a shared folder). I have admin username/password of the compilation machine.

Please give me any sample code, or at least logic to control VB compiler remotely.

Gyani

You can use VB to build your project from the command line: http://www.whippleware.com/VBLM/webh...ne_summary.htm . You could use a tool like this one to kick off a compile whenever you copy source files to a specific directory, or simply create a scheduled task in Windows to compile whatever is in that directory once per hour, for example.
    Phil Weber
    http://www.philweber.com

Please post questions to the forums, where others may benefit.
    I do not offer free assistance by e-mail. Thank you!

maybe somthing like VNCViewer may help.

usually a code is not compiled in a server machine. the server is busy doing something else, why clogging it? Not only that, you have to install all DevStudio in it, plus all libraries and tools, and that means you need more DevStudio licenses.
    Just compile the code in a development machine (like you computer) and then use some installation package (DevStudio comes with Package & Deployment Wizard for free, that even if not perfect it is ok for medium size apps), and use that to install the app on the servers.
    Is there any reason you have to compile in a specific server machine?
    Marco
    "There are two ways to write error-free programs. Only the third one works."
    Unknown

Guys,

Thanks for your efforts, but it did not solve my problem. I have restriction that I can not install any other software on compiling machine. So VNCViewer/Remote desktop or any other third party tool can not be used.

Phil, creating a schedule task can be a good idea, but it will not compile the program, when I require it !!!!!!!!!

If anyone provide me logic to "Remotely execution of commands", I myself will create a program/batch file.

Please help me, Thanks in advance.

Gyani

How do you plan on remotely executing commands if you can't install anything on the compiler machine?

I'd go talk to your IT department and explain the situation. They may have a solution for you.

Thanks friends,

I have got the solution using Telnet to remotely access shell of the compilation machine.
    please refer http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376038 for details.

Gyani