Hi folks. I have been searching for a starting point on trying to figure out how to write my own simple email client for both sending and receiving email through internet pop3 email accounts.

From what I can see so far, MAPI is not going to help me as it requires Echange and or Outlook or something like that. I am not looking to depend on or interact with any other email program. I am basically trying to write my own.

I have been using VB and QB and GWB for years, but I have never wrote anything that involved the internet. They have all be pretty simple programs. I have also been webmastering for a few years now, but once again it has been pretty simple stuff. Mostly just HTML, some CSS, JavaScript, PHP. But, nothing very complicated or hard.

I am hoping that someone can help me figure out how to write VB6 code to both send and receive email through a email (pop3) account. I am not going to guarantee that I am using the correct terminology when I say POP3, so here it is in a nutshell. Assuming that I already have an internet connection, I want to be able to login to an email account that I create with my hosting service using my username and password. Of course, I would also know the incoming mail server address (typically mail.mydomain.com) and my outgoing mail server address (typically smtp.myisp.com).

If you can tell me how to do this, it would be great. If not, if you know where I could find this information, that would be great too.

Thanks,
Luke