J2EE Client Provisioning problem

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: J2EE Client Provisioning problem

J2EE Client Provisioning problem

Hi, I'm a newbie to servers and EE 5 in particular, so please forgive me if this problem seems trivial - but I've spent several days now to no avail, so you'll understand what that means in terms of frustration.

I'm trying to deploy a J2ME package on the web, so have been following the Getting Started with the J2EE Client Provisioning tutorial (http://developers.sun.com/techtopics...art/index.html) listed in the MIDP articles section. Unlike the tutorial which is a bit old (written for j2sdkee1.3.1), I've downloaded EE 5. When I come to build and deploy the application, ant/asant falls over, and gives the following error:

[java] java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sun/enterprise/tools/packager/Main
    [java] Exception in thread "main"

Now, as far as I can ascertain, there are a couple of likely causes for this problem. My first instinct tells me that I don't have the Environment Variables set correctly. Here are my PATH and CLASSPATH settings:

PATH:
    C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_06\bin;C:\Sun\AppServer\bin;C:\apache-ant-1.6.5-bin\apache-ant-1.6.5\bin

CLASSPATH:
    .;C:\Sun\AppServer\lib\j2ee.jar;C:\Sun\AppServer\lib;C:\apache-ant-1.6.5-bin\apache-ant-1.6.5\lib\ant.jar;C:\apache-ant-1.6.5-bin\apache-ant-1.6.5\lib;C:\j2ee_cp_ri\lib;C:\j2ee_cp_ri\lib\tools.jar

There may well be entries there that are superfluous: in desparation I've been trying all sorts of different ones. Is anything missing though??

Secondly, perhaps since the application is a bit old, the build.xml might need changing. Here is the segment it falls over on:

<!-- First create the portable .ear file -->
    <java classname="com.sun.enterprise.tools.packager.Main"
    fork="yes"
    classpath="${j2ee.jar}:${j2ee.l10n}"
    failonerror="yes">

I have SCOURED the net and can find no solution. With a bit more experience I might be able to solve it myself, but am at a loss. If anyone can help...I would be so grateful. If there is a better place to submit this sort of a query, pls let me know.

Thanks.

Still no solution here, but I'll try to report on all the steps/developments (no matter how minor) I've made:

Having tried all manner of CLASSPATH and PATH formatting and entries, I started to examine the Build.xml that comes with the application in more detail. In the opening lines appears the following:

<property name="j2ee.l10n" value="${j2ee.home}/lib/locale" />, the name of which appears in the XML segment from my initial thread. The destination this property is specifying does not exist on my machine, and I cannot find any such file anywhere. I guess this is a difference between EE 5 and J2EE1.3. If that's the case, how should I alter this property accordingly, for use with EE 5?

Another potential discrepancy I noticed occurs when I run ant -debug. It details that it is setting project property j2ee.jar -> C:\Sun\AppServer/lib/j2ee.jar. Might this \ / mix-up be causing a problem?

I'll keep thinking.

Thanks again for anyone devoting time to this problem. If I can supply any more info/code that would be useful do let me know.