Java Download Errors

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Java Download Errors

Java Download Errors

Hi, I have been trying to download java for certain applications. I had a virus on my system and when i fixed it my java wasnt working. Now when i try to download it i get the following message.
    " error applying transforms. Verify that the transform paths are valid".

Does anybody know what is going on and how to fix it pls.
    Thanks.

Hi.

A few necessary questions first. Which operating system are you using? What was the name of the virus you unfortunately contracted? Which anti-virus are you using? When you say you are trying to download Java, do you mean the runtime or the full software developer's kit? If just the runtime (or plugin) is it the one from Sun?

From what you've posted so far, I'd be looking for a second opinion (from another suitable program) that the virus has actually been removed. If you're using windoze xp / me you'll have needed to disable system restore before trying to remove the virus or it will still have the ability to cause nasty things.

Please post answers to the above questions and we'll try to take things alittle further.

Thanks for the reply, yes i am using Doze XP. I have treid doing the runtime update and when that didnt work i deleted the whole java kit and reinstalled. And yes it was from Sun.
    The software i am using is as follows. I have Error Nuker running, AVG (free version) and Spyware egistered Version). I can honestly say i do not know what the virus was. It was hidden in a Codec from a video i tried to watch. I was the virus that tells you you have somebody using a keylogger to view your PC. Seems to have gone now by using Spyware Dr.
    Any advice would be much appreciated. Thx.

At present your situation seems to be more spyware / virus / trojan / worm related. It could well be that a part of Windoze has been altered or even damaged along the way. Before going to the LAST resort of running a recovery or reinstalling Windoze, there are still a few more things to try.

If you haven't already, try performing the usual Windoze updates. If you have your xp cd to hand, try doing a scannow /sfc to try repairing the OS files.

Try going to www.spywareinfo.com/xscan.php where there is an active-x program (free) which will atleast detect if not remove anything unwanted.

The other thing I'd heartily recommend is trying HIJACKTHIS (available at spywareinfo.com) to merely scan for any unusual changes to the registry. You can then post your results in the forum on the site (all free and no spam) and receive advice (again, all free) on what to do. The error you're getting seems 99% likely because of a change to the registry, or so I reckon.

Given the high likelihood of a virus or similar causing the problem, I am a little dubious about the merits of running System Restore, but if all else fails, there's no harm in trying. (START > ALL PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > SYSTEM TOOLS > SYSTEM RESTORE)

As regards the anti-malware you're running, I used to use AVG when running Windoze and found it to be more than adequate. I'm unfamiliar with the spyware stuff you're using. I always swore by Spybot Search and Destroy (very good and free from download.com).

If you do have to recover the computer (reinstall Windoze from scratch) try looking for another free program called prevx1r ... it is a zero-day anti-virus program, kind of like a turbo-charged firewall, that stops even unknown viruses from being naughty. It worked fine with AVG for me.

Good luck.