text based rpg?

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: text based rpg?

text based turnbased rpg?

I want to make a text based turn based rpg written in java. Could you please tell me where to start, structure wise? I would also appreciate it if you could provide me with some examples of some text based rpgs...
    Last edited by pyronate; 05-13-2006 at 04:35 PM.

Do you know how to program with Java or is this your first project?

Quote Originally Posted by Phaelax
    Do you know how to program with Java or is this your first project?
    I know how to program in Java, I've done other projects. I just need a starting point because I am not a pro at it yet...I've only done mini side projects

Quote Originally Posted by pyronate
    I know how to program in Java, I've done other projects. I just need a starting point because I am not a pro at it yet...I've only done mini side projects

Start learning awt or swing and code simple gui applications like a Button, Label etc

What i did is before i create the gui use uml to define yoru classes and attribute etc and make a simple console application, after that use the same code and make a gui around it.

this screenshot is very old and a sample project using a console output.

I used several classes for this.
    My own java video tutorials, feel free to watch it.
    http://www.engineeringserver.com/for...amming-b311.0/ Need java help? For beginning and intermediate java coders!

I have the beginnings of a telnet based multiplayer RPG game (also known as a MUD). If you want, I'd be happy to have you aboard.

Mark

Normally, I'd just skip the UML stuff, but in this case I think it could help visualize how the game's structure should be mapped out. That's about the only tip I got, never played a text-based rpg.

Quote Originally Posted by ractoc
    I have the beginnings of a telnet based multiplayer RPG game (also known as a MUD). If you want, I'd be happy to have you aboard.

Mark
    A mud is cool I know a classmate thats into stuff like this but he makes it in cpp and thats a bit off topic here

Anyway, if you need a simple rpg game i think i can give you a few pointer since i made some in the past.
    My own java video tutorials, feel free to watch it.
    http://www.engineeringserver.com/for...amming-b311.0/ Need java help? For beginning and intermediate java coders!

There is a wonderful book I used for my beginners Java course which covers how to make a Zork-type game - very similar to your sort of game. All you need to do is attach an object that represents the current picture state of the board somewhere - I will do my best to recreate the model below:
    The following objects are included:

Parser
    Game
    Command
    Room
    CommandWords

Game drives the application and is where the main method is located. It has a Parser, a Command, and a Room object. The Room object may vary to define different rooms. The Command object will also very depending on the command issued. The Parser also has a Command and a CommandWords. The Parser takes the user text, breaks it down into its component words and then compares them against a list of known commands located in CommandWords. If the user has written a legal statement, then the Parser can set the current Command based on what it recieved from CommandWords.
    I found this to be a very effective set-up to quickly build a very large game without too much code getting in the way. As a final project for the class, we had to add buttons for north, south, east, and west (as well as others for bonus points) as well as add on a graphic extension that would load up image files to display for each room. As I remember, I think I accomplished this all within the Game class and one other object... although looking back, I probably could have streamlined the project a bit better with the use of another class.
    I hope this helps.

Book Source: Objects First With Java - A Practical Introduction Using BlueJ
    by: David J. Barnes and Michael Kolling

Quote Originally Posted by Arkie_student
    Start learning awt or swing and code simple gui applications like a Button, Label etc

What i did is before i create the gui use uml to define yoru classes and attribute etc and make a simple console application, after that use the same code and make a gui around it.

this screenshot is very old and a sample project using a console output.

I used several classes for this.
    Hey Your program seems to do something like what I want my program to do. If you can, could you please send me your source code so that I can base my general program around yours/study your code? This would help me out a lot. Thanks

my email is admin@fallingsilent.com

are u trying to write this game as an applet based text game or an application?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyiero
    are u trying to write this game as an applet based text game or an application?
    application basically using the console, its all text based so far...using a number type system (ex. press 1 to go to shop, etc)...

How indepth do u want to go with ur rpg,are u going to add stats,items,equipment,etc.... and is all ur trying to add to this game is combat,meaning u fight one,if u win u go to next fight or are u going to add more options for player to do?

Re: Source for RPG

I no longer have access to my source code for the RPG project I mentioned up above. It is on a network drive only avaiable while I am on campus and it is summer time (thank God!). I did dig up the URL to download all of the book projects though. It should have most of the code there:

http://www.bluej.org/objects-first/

Also, if you are just starting out with java and oop, I would highly recommend this book. I still use it to this day to reference how syntax works in java. It is a wonderful whirl-wind overview of what Java is all about. I do not, however, recommed using their BlueJ compiler... use Eclipse. Hope all this helps.