Boy Do I Need Help, I'm Not A Programmer

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Boy Do I Need Help, I'm Not A Programmer

Unhappy Boy Do I Need Help, I'm Not A Programmer

For many years I had a simple java word game called Scramble running from a Gateway machine that had XP Pro on it, and it was installed and updated before the Sun/Microsoft thing, so the person who wrote the came had it enabled so that I could start the game by using wjview.exe.

Alternately, people could telnet through. It had passwords and usernames stored on my Gateway, and my webside page had an inline frame that was directed to my gateway so that others could play (for free) from the net.

Well, the Gateway's motherboard fried and I had to go out and get a new machine. It runs Vista 64.

I did try putting it on another machine that runs XP Pro 32 bit, but alas, that machine was also set up after the Sun/Microsoft thing and when I try to start the game using wjview.exe, it tells me class not registered.

I found the old files to at least get rid of that particular message, but then when I tried wjview.exe, all I got was a help file showing java commands, and believe me I am no programmer. I found the Msjava.dll file on an old notebook and put it in the same folder that it was in on the notebook, but to no avail.

All I want to do is to get this game to start and run so that my friends can play, for free.

I have the game files as originally given to me. As the person who wrote them was under the influence at the time, I was just told to dump files in the www. root directory, and then I had to have a separate folder for the Scramble in the C: directory, and another in the Programs directory called TScram. Since they sent me files that were zipped with yet others zipped in again and again, it was always difficult for me to find the large-words.txt file that would affect the game (to add/take away words) and the password.txt file to add new players.

If anyone can clean this up for me and make it run from my new Vista 64 bit, I would be happy to pay for their time and trouble, but I do not want any malicious code in there. The only thing on that machine will be the game, and no personal information, and I don't want my friends to be infected.

I do not charge anything for the right to play, and I don't have any advertising, it it all out-of-pocket for me.

You can go to http://www.indymcduff.com and click on "the game" to see what it was. The game won't run now, of course.

The game consisted of a 16 (4 x 4) letter grid, random (although the programmer forgot to include that anytime a q comes up a u should come up as well). The players indicate they are ready by typing rd, and when the last rd is typed the game begins, a 90 second round in which each player types as many words as they can, as fast as they can, hitting enter after each word. The first one who gets the word gets the credit, and no one else can take that same word. The scoring and bonus grid still shows up on the page.

If a person forgets to /exit the room, the other players can start the game by typing /go.

it is important that I be able to control the user name and passwords from here so that we do not get 'bad' people.

Please take a look, let me know if anyone can help me. I've even posted on elance, but no bites yet as I do not have big $$ to offer.

Any advice as to how to get this game running on a 64 bit Vista platform, even, would be greatly appreciated. I've tried for weeks, and got nowhere.

Thanks in advance,

Notmyself

Can you start your program in a command prompt window and see if there are any messages displayed on the screen? If so, copy and past the full text of the screen here.
    Use the java command instead of what you are using.
    What kind of executable files comes with the application? .exe, .bat, .jar ???

Norm, I cannot find any .exe files in any of the folders or sub-folders that he gave to me years ago (the programmer). The only .exe was the wjview.exe that would allow me to not only start and quit the program, but to "kick" players who were obnoxious or disrespectful or rude.

If you like, I can send you all of the files I have for the game. I have the HD from the Gateway (a brand new HD, I might add) on which the game worked. But since the motherboard is fried, and since the HD is IDE and all the new systems are SATA, I can't even migrate in any way.

I wish I weren't so dumb about this.

As I've said the first attempt at WJview.exe said it couldn't find the JVM, which I assure you I have the latest version.

After installing the old MSFT VM (I think the build was .3018), and the Msjava.dll, I was then told that it couldn't run on a 64 bit system.

I could put the zipped files on my website with a hidden link so that you could take a look at them, if you think this will help. I'm so frustrated at this point. I surely wish I were a programmer, but I am not.

My biggest concern is not only getting this running, but being sure that no one is hurt by malicious code.

Indy

jview and wjview are MS versions of the java program. MS does NOT support Java anymore.
    You need to get the Java Runtime Environment from Sun. Its a free download.
    Do a Google with: download jre Current version is 1.6
    the JVM, which I assure you I have the latest version.
    What version of the JVM program do you have?

What is the full commandline that you enter to run the program?
    What files are included with the app you are trying to execute? Is there a .jar file? or class files or ???
    Last edited by Norm; 11-09-2008 at 03:58 PM.

I do have 1.6. The applet programs are sitting on the other computer, the one I have set up just for the game.

I don't know how to send personal messages on this board. I'd gladly give you all the files that the programmer gave me originally.

When I set up the new computer, only a few days old, I went straight to Sun to download the latest JVM (which I believe is 10) and the latest JRE.

I have to run between rooms to see what is in the folders, but I did see a lot of class files, some asp files (and a bunch of dumb noises that I do not want in my game, such as belch and all of that), java simulation files, text files, a file that let it access a dictionary somewhere on the web.

The best I can do right here is open the compressed file from a removable storage device and list them. He seems to have just put all the files in all the folders, repetitively, so I can't make any kind of logical sense out of it, but the game played flawlessly for years.

If there is some way to Personal Message you, or transfer files from me to you so that you can see for yourself.

As far as I can see, they are all class files, I do not see any jar files.

If you could see how many times he has zipped one inside of the other, you'd know that he wasn't in his right mind when he did this.

Okay, the list of files is too great for me to capture and have show up here in any fashion that you would able to read, I doubt if even I could on this big monitor.

As for getting the program to run, prior to the Gateway disaster, all I did was double-click on the Wjview icon. Yes, I am aware that this will not work any longer due to the lawsuit, but it did work on the old machine.

How best do I get these files to you for you to look at?

Please excuse if I take time to answer. There are new windows being installed here Tuesday and I'm trying to move furniture and take down windows stuff (with several recovering knee/leg breaks).

I think if you looked at what I'm dealing with, you might have the answer.

Indy

double-click on the Wjview icon
    I assume that the icon is a shortcut (has an arrow in lower left corner)
    Right-click on that icon, chose properties and then copy these two fields:
    Target: and Start in:
    and paste them here.
    If you have the new java from sun, make a copy of the shortcut and change the Target: field by replacing the wjview.exe with java.exe and the /cp with -cp.
    Also copy the Target: field to a .bat batch file. Then you'll be able to execute the program from a command prompt and capture any error output.

Okay, I'm going to have to forward this to the other computer so that I can follow your commands.

Indy

Norm, I posted a big reply, only to realize I had not logged out on the other computer, so it didn't post.

I'm going to do it again.

Right clicking on the wjview.exe rendered these answers:

Target: C:\Windows\System32\wjview.exe

Start in: C:\Windows\System 32.

There was no Java shortcut on my desktop, but I had to create one from the control panel. The version is indeed 6, update 10, build 1.6.0_10-b33

But then you lose me (pardon the ignorance, please).

I right clicked on the newly created Java shortcut and

Get this information: Target Location: Control Panel
    Target: (which is grayed out) Control Panel\Java
    Start in: blank.

I'm SURE that isn't right.

BTW, thank you so much for your exquisitely patient help thus far. I hope my ignorance in this matter is not making you pull out your hair!

Indy

I thought that the icon you click on to start the app was a shortcut that would have information about how the application was started. If it is only to the jview.exe program, then how does it start the application?
    Here's what I see in one of my shortcuts that starts an app:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\java.exe -cp %DEV_HOME%\Java\jsdk2.0\lib\jsdk.jar;%DEV_HOME%\JavaDevelopment\HTTPServer\;. HTTPServer.HTTPServerMain
    There's the java command, the -cp option and the class to be started.
    If you don't have that, I don't understand how your app starts. Somewhere there must be similiar information. wjview is MS's version of the javaw command.

You'll have to find a programmer that can sit at your pc.

Norm,

If you have MSLive Instant messenger, and I can open this up to you for remote assist, would you be willing?

As I've said, there is nothing on here except the game files and a few pre-loaded programs.

Again, I would be more than happy to remburse you for your time.

If you log onto my bulletin board over at IndyMcDuff.com, and PM me, we I can send you the information to reach me on MSN Live Messenger. I haven't installed it on here yet, but will if you feel you want to/can do this.

Take your time to think it over. I'm going to have a little dinner at the moment. Please join the BB, and read what I've been going through these past months to try to save the game.

Indy

Sorry, I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow.
    Good luck.

The problem is that the files now sit on the Windows 64 bit system, and of course they were just dumped there. The Gateway that hosted the machine is inaccessible as the motherboard is fried. All I have are the Ghost images and while I can see the files and where they were, I cannot find out what the target and source lines were when the game was operational.

If anyone out there can help me I would be most appreciative. I have no clue how to even begin learning Java or I'd do it myself. Surely I've spent more time than it would have taken to re-write the program from the ground up, but with all these .NET and .ASP things out there, how does a non-programmer learn how to start?

I'm great with hardware and software, but nothing in the way of programming. All I need to do, it seems to me, is to learn which of the files starts the program, and how to issue the correct command line.

As I've said, some files sit in the c:/scrambletwo folder, and he (the programmer) had me dump similar files in the .www root directory in inetpub, and yet another folder in the /Programs directory called TScram. To me, all the files look repetitive, so I don't even know what I'm looking for.

If I could get the Gateway to start, I could get the information as to what made the applet start, but despite hauling it to a computer repair shop, just to bandaid it into being able to access the files even for a short time, to get the information, yielded NO results, they couldn't get the unit to turn on either.

I need either a trustworthy source to help me sort this out, or take remote assist, or even point a programming-deprived person down the right path to learn it. It make take me months to learn and understand, but if I can't get help any other way, then this is what I'll need to do.

I don't even mind paying someone to re-write it, if the cost is within reason. I'm not a company, just one little person trying to provide a free game for people I've played with for well over a decade.

Any help or assistance that anyone can provide would be incrediby appreciated.

It may seem a daunting task, but somehow common sense tells me it is simply a matter of converting it over to run on java instead of wjview, and knowing which folder to point to and what the command line should be.

I need that little GUI so that I can start and stop the applet, but which folder and files do I look in to find it? Which command do I give when I no longer have a running applet to look at?

If anyone out there understands what I am saying, please help!

indy

hello, since Norm is out he's offered me to look into your problem (we both are from codeguru community). I believe I could help, at least to pinpoint it if not to solve. Click on my nickname here above this post and a user description will appear. Click "Contact Info" tab and use the email you will find there as a Messenger Live contact. Or just download my vCard here. I'm online like 24 hours a day...

Come out and we'll chat.
    Do not fall in despair, there are no problems without solutions...
    Last edited by xeel; 11-11-2008 at 06:58 PM.

Thank you for responding.

I did lose hope that I could solve it myself, so I went ahead an hired a programmer to fix the problem and have the game run on a Vista machine. I hope to have it working in about a week.

Perhaps it is better this way, because now the game will belong to me. Since I don't charge anyone to play and have no advertising, I'm shouldering all of the costs myself, so it is only fair that it belong to me instead of being a hand-me-down. She will rewrite it more to my liking.

But I do most humbly thank you for offering.

The messages from the bulletin board do not get through to my Blackberry, so I was unaware that you had responded. Certain mail comes to certain machines, and I just hadn't been on this one.

Thanks again!

Indy

No problem. Nice to hear you've found a solution. If you ever need anything we are always here.