Are servlets and JSP obsolete?

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Are servlets and JSP obsolete?

Are servlets and JSP obsolete?

I am a client developer who has done some web stuff with PHP and mysql. However I am building a web application which requires the use of servlets (I am integrating some SDKs which are written in Java). But everything I seem to find is really, really, old. Like 20th century old. What gives? Are servlets and JSP outdated? Am I wasting my energy learning something which won't do me any good in the industry?

Even this forum seems to be dead by any normal standards...only about 4-5 posts a day in here.

JSP is defintely not dead

I am an IT instructor in the St. Louis area, and over the past 6 years that I've lived here, we've seen a pretty big increase in Java Development jobs. To illustrate what I mean, the first year I taught here, we were able to place only 2 students in Java jobs. This year, our graduates are nearly divided in half between Java and .NET jobs. Of the employers who are getting our Java folks, most of them want J2EE expertise, of which JSP is an important part. So IMHO, no, JSP and servlet technology is not dead. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I'd advise looking deeper into the programming development of Sun, IBM, Oracle, and Google before calling servlets remotely outdated. There's also this "open source" thing called Tomcat you might find interesting.

Most of the development these days require eithe J2EE or .Net. Here in New York we just developed a new Asp.Net 2.0/C# web application for a client. Another client is interested in the website as well, except they will NOT accept Windows and IIS as their app server environment. We're now looking at Visual MainWin (aka Grasshopper) for converting the asp.net code to Java in order to run on Unix/Linux.
    Java appears to be quite alive...specifically JSP ? I don't know enough about that .