DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: How can I install .NET framework 2.0 ?

How can I install .NET framework 2.0 ?

Hi , I have version 1.0 installed and I ordered the 2.0 framework cd from microsoft. I went through the install and I now have the 2.0 framework folder in my Framework directory .

The thing is that when I click on Help and About in Visual Studio , it says that I still have the 1.1 version installed .

is there an extra step I need to take to make it point to the 2.0 folder ?
    Last edited by Matrix.net; 09-05-2006 at 11:36 AM.

Matrix.net,

Are you trying to get an older version of Visual Studio.Net, such as the 2003 version, to work with the 2.0 framework?

If so, that won't work. You will need Visual Studio.Net 2005 to work with the 2.0 framework.

Kerry Moorman

Quote Originally Posted by kmoorman
    Matrix.net,

Are you trying to get an older version of Visual Studio.Net, such as the 2003 version, to work with the 2.0 framework?

If so, that won't work. You will need Visual Studio.Net 2005 to work with the 2.0 framework.

Kerry Moorman
    then whats the point of giving people the option to upgrade framework versions? 2005 ships with 2.0 , and I believe I saw at msdn.com that if you have VS 2003 you have the choice of choosing which framework you want to work with if you have multiple versions of the framework in your pc.

You can run your app under a newer version of the framework but the Visual Studio development environment is still hard-wired to a specific version.

If you want to take advantage of the new features present in .NET Framework 2.0 then you have to upgrade the development environment as well.
    Paul
    ~~~~
    Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me as I thought that Framework 2.0 came out prior to VS2005. I have heard of others developing in VS2003 under Framework 2.0 but do not know how this was accomplished. Did you find a solution?

No , I'm still with 1.1 for the time being till I'm done with my two current projects after that I will be using Visual Web Developer 2005 express. ( I dont currently have the time to experiment with changing some of my code to run with 2.0 so the current projects will have to be finished in 1.1 . )