ok, heres the deal. I made a backup of my simcard phonebook on my old phone, and was able to JUST read it on my pc in notepad, because tbh it's full of crap i don't need. Here's an excerpt:

Code:
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:;Abertay
TEL;PREF;HOME;CELL;VOICE:01382308000
CATEGORIES:0
END:VCARD
and all i need out of it is:

Abertay
-insert blank line here-

so far, I can take the file and write the contents out to my own file, using THIS code:

Code:
import java.util.*;
import java.io.*;
import javax.swing.*;

public class SimCleaner{
	public static void main(String[]args){
	Boolean inputcorrect = false;
	String inputfilename;
	String outputfilename;
	while(inputcorrect==false)
	{
		inputfilename=JOptionPane.showInputDialog("Please enter the name of the backup file to open, case sensitive (with extension)");
		outputfilename=JOptionPane.showInputDialog("Please enter the desired output filename, case sensitive (with extension)");
			try {
     	   BufferedReader in = new BufferedReader(new FileReader(inputfilename));
     	   BufferedWriter out = new BufferedWriter(new FileWriter(outputfilename));
     	   String str;
     	   while ((str = in.readLine()) != null) {
      	     System.out.println(str);
      	     out.write(str);
      	     out.write("\n");
     	   }
     	   in.close();
     	   out.close();
     	   inputcorrect=true;
   	 	} catch (IOException e) {
   		 	JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Error: File not found. Please check that the backup file is in the root directory, and that you spelt the filename correctly");
    		inputcorrect=false;
    	}
	}
	JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null,"Done");
	}
}
though amdittedly, it fills it full of worse junk...

I'm not sure how to start removing strings from it though. Could anyone give me some help with this? It's not homework or anything, its just a little side project I'm doing on my own, felt like doing it to keep my "skills" "fresh" lol

Thank you in advance
Chris Finlay