Need help asap!!!

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Need help asap!!!

Need help asap!!!

Former tech guy wrote a VB program using access & excel database but it has gliches. Not all buttons work properly. Program works off the server but I cannot seem to find any of the forms or the actual code. Was informed that he took the code & forms with him. Now I have to rewrite the forms & code. Have the all the database but dont know where to begin. Never wrote a VB program. Need to know where to start and need a mentor to help me finish this project. Any help is really appreciated!! Thank you.

You can start buy documenting what each form does. Like when you fill in the fields. Start simple like what the tab order is, what validation is performed when invalid data is entered in each field. As you fill in the various fields does anything special happen, like entering a value in a field and some other field gets filled in. If these forms are using any custom controls then you will either need those or you will need to recreate their functionality with standard controls. Try to figure out where things like the items that show up in lists, combo boxes or list boxes, come from. Are they looked up from a table in the database and if so what table?
    If you have user doucumentation then you should be able to get a lot of info from there. Were there any written specifications for the original program. This would be very handy to help in recreating the program.
    Get snapshots of each form and you can use those to help rebuild the forms. Look at the menus in each form, what options are there and what does each one actually do.
    Essentually what you have is a situation similar to when you lose the source code for an application and you have to rebuild it from scratch.

in your post you don't say if you have any experience of programming at all, or if you just don't know VB, and how much knowledge on database you have

Depending on the size of the project, how much time you have, and how fast this project must be completed, consider asking your company to hire a contractor for this job, and be sure this time to be specific on saying that you buy not only the final application but the code as well
    "There are two ways to write error-free programs. Only the third one works."
    Unknown

Thank you for your replies! Sorry, I should have been a little more clearer. I deal with mostly hardware but have worked with applications when needed. I have coded before in C++ & ABAP4 but that was a couple of years back. I have never coded in VB before so a little nervous but looking forward to completing the project. Its a real small business which is not going to hire any contractors, to expensive. So I have about a month and a half to complete this project.

Vpatel, will help you out...one and a half month is more than enough to carry out most VB projects and test them too... What does your program actually do...
    Last edited by Nrip Nihalani; 12-14-2006 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Grammatical Change
    NN

VB6 has a very low learning curve.
    Start it, select Standard Exe and you already have a Form
    Double click on it, and VB creates for you the stub for the Load event, the event that is fired when the Form is ready to be displayed. In this event you can start writing the initialization, that in your case will be the selection and connection to the database. Run the project, and you are ready to test it
    After that, start putting one control in the form, one at the time, the code will be written in the control events. To get information, click on a item, or in a word in the code, and press F1.

This should give you a head start to initiate, then follow Ron Weller directions

And we are always here to help

Marco
    Unknown

What the program does it takes the customers information and stores it in the db with a primary customer #. There is 3 dbs, one stores the customer information, second stores a image of the customers inventory that was brought in, and third stores the diagnostics results of the customers inventory. I have attached copies of the forms that I need to create. Pic1 is what the first form that comes up when I pickup icon is executed. When the PICKUP button is pressed, Pic2, second form, is what shows up. Each radio button brings up a text box on the right hand side to do a search. The NEW button, bottom left corner, opens up a new window Pic3 to enter in customer information. Pic4 is when the USER button is clicked.
    Attached Images Attached Images

so, the main window is a MDIForm, for all the other forms you have to set the MDIChild property to True.

Start creating a standard EXE project, it will add a Form for you that is useless.
    Rename the project as you wish, in the Properties window
    From the Project menu, select Add MDIForm, and give it a good name.
    Now click in the Form1 in the tree of the Project window, right click and say Remove
    Right click in the Project, select Properties and in the Startup Object select the MDIForm (that now should be the only Form around)
    Save, and Run, and see what is happens (you should just have the MDI form). Click the X in the form to stop the application (and so the debugger)

Now right click again in the Project, select Add Form and open a new form, set the MDIChild property (from the Properties window) to True and name that form
    Do this for all the other forms (so far you have 3 of them)

Save (save often...)

now open one form after the other, and start dragging the right components from the toolbox window to the form. Remember to give the components a reasonable name (do NOT keep the default, or you end up with Label1, Label2 etc. that do not mean anything) Save Often. If you make a mistake, press undo. If that does not work, exit VB, forget the last changes and start over with tje last good project. This is why I say SAVE OFTEN: if VB crashes after two hours and you did not save anything, say bye bye to two hours of work.

The tricky part is the MDIForm: very few controls can be hosted in that kind of form. In your case, select a PictureBox, and set the Alignment to Top, set the domension you want and put the command buttons on top of it.

When you are done, give us a buzz. Do not feel afraid to play around with the IDE, it is pretty much intuitive

Marco
    Unknown

One thing that would help is to create a blank database in access and import all of the tables from the original database; but only import the table structures not the data. Its one of the options of the import routine. Then Name the mdb file the same as the original mdb file, zip it, and attach it so we have access to the table structures.

U may accelerate your work by using a reformer software !
    yes there is many software over internet that could retrive all your resources from an exe file created from vb !
    I have my owen programmed tool but I have stopped updating it after vb6 . But I confirme that there is over internet for .Net , just search .

after getting those forms you will have a simple database programming missed which is too easy , you can finish this all after 1 week an half , less If u know SQL good , with testing it too !

don't forget to buzz as mistraf told u , and any question ask here (preferable in new thread with a specified questin if it's not related with this)

Now go ahed and search for this , I have found one now but it's not free , try u too u may got a better results .
    Programmer&Cracker CS
    MyBlog:Blog.Amahdy.com
    MyWebsite:www.Amahdy.com

Have an attorney send him a letter

RE: "he took the code & forms with him"

uh, how would the owners of this business respond if this guy had taken all the computers with him when he left??? This is exactly the same thing -- the "code and forms" are business assets that the company paid for by paying him a salary while he developed them. Have an attorney send him a threatening letter explaining that if he doesn't return all the software he took, they'll sue and/or have him criminally prosecuted for theft. In most cases you'll get results pretty quickly.