Anybody use Windows Messanger

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Anybody use Windows Messanger

Question Anybody use Windows Messanger

I am trying to get program sharing to work. It sends the request but after the request is accepted nothing happens. I also tried the whiteboard option and I have the same results. The chat part works fine.

Windows msgr is very sensitive to firewalls, apparently. Try (just for a sec) disabling the firewall, ask the other party to do the same, and see if it helps. If it does, then you can try creating rules for it.

I don't use msn but this happened with me in yahoo !
    I know it's very strange to ask if msn messenger use JAVA for sharing , but for yahoo coz it uses java so I had to install [reinstall maybe] the latest updated version of vm .. maybe in your case -if it don't use java- u need to check what about framework ..
    Programmer&Cracker CS
    MyBlog:Blog.Amahdy.com
    MyWebsite:www.Amahdy.com

On my machine I have the Windows Messanger in my firewalls Exceptions list, and so did the other user. Also they had their firewall shut down at the time we were trying this. If that was the problem wouldn't Windows Messanger give you some sort of message. The program seemed to be working correctly up until the point where the sharing toolbar/window should have appeared, but nothing happened. So even though sharing was requested and accepted, there was no way to select which program to share, and with the whiteboard it should already know which program but it still did nothing. No messages, no windows, no toolbars, nothing but the chat message that says the request was accepted.

No, it doesn't give you any kind of message, it just won't connect. At least all the previous versions of msn msgr didn't. I haven't tested the latest version much yet. Is there a router involved on either end? That'll stop it also.

Not a router but a 4port switch, from NetGear. It is where I have the Internet modem connected for my DSL connection and then several other computers. If it can't handle a router it seems pretty useless, since only the chat part seems to work.