New to Developing

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: New to Developing

New to Developing

Hello

I hope someone can help me. I am a newbie to programming and have been able to develop some basic components in VB6but now am trying to go a bit further and I feel like I am getting over my head or just simply missing something.

I am creating an application from scratch. The basics are the app runs and a splash page is displayed. The user is prompted to register and a registration form appears with contact details. I guess my question is what is the best way to store the information? it will have to be recalled, updated etc.

I don't know if I should be building my application to access a remote sql server and be able to create each user or just storing it locally some kind of a file.

I hope someone can guide me in the right direction or even if there is a basic user registration sample I could code from.

Thanks

Robert

**this is my post number 500 lol

well u haven't told us u need it for asp, vbscript or vb maybe , but anyway the best way to store information is database ofcorse , the access database is the simplest one of them all .. just creat new table in it and put in it fields u need .. now from your vb application connect to this access database using DAO connection say , I think what u need now is how to do this connection .. a small search in this forum or in google , u will get too many examples ..
    finally in your application you can execute SQL commands using your recordset created once you have connected to the database ...
    Programmer&Cracker CS
    MyBlog:Blog.Amahdy.com
    MyWebsite:www.Amahdy.com

Thanks for the quick response

Sorry VB6. Isn't this a problem. What if Access is not loaded on the users computer?

no u don't need the M$ Access at all in the client computer , just you need the ado dll file to be registred .. this dll is the file where u will refer to it , usually it exist with windows but to be sure take it out near your application or make installation package containing it .
    Programmer&Cracker CS

What Amahdy is refering to is the Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC). If the user is up to date on this, then they will have no problems using your application. From the Microsoft Downloads Center you can find the latest version of MDAC Under the Drivers section. The latest version of MDAC is 2.8. Here is the link to the Download Center:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/S...displaylang=en

OOP's it now looks like the Jet Drivers are no longer in the MDAC updates. I have started a new thread under the Database Forum, called "What Happend with MDAC ?"
    Hopefully someone will know what is going on here.

I appreciate the feedback. Just a question. If I just want to store a user record and call it back would it be good to use a Random Data file instead of recording it to access? If yes are there are basic examples. The ones I have found are very comples. All I would want to do is store the users details and call them back throughout the app.

another search will gives you to many examples again , here in vbclassic forum too .. just look in last threads it contains lots of those examples .
    what u need to know is how to make the connection and open the database file with a recordset called "rs1" for example ... after those three lines , rs1.open execute SQL commands , rs1.XXX contains all database needs like .movenext , .movelast and so on .
    Programmer&Cracker CS

A random file would mean that the next time the program was started you would no longer know what file to use so you would not be able to get the data back. If you only need it for that one time then you don't even need to store it in a file at all. Now if you want to store it in a text file, or an xml file you could still use an ADO Recordset and treat the file as if it were a database. If you do this though then any user with access to notepad could open your file and read the contents. If you use an Access database then at least the user would need some type of program that can read Access database's to be able to open and read the data. You could of course encrypt your text files. So I guess it would depend on what your needs are and how much you care about security for this project.
    Last edited by Ron Weller; 01-07-2007 at 10:48 PM.

One more thing I just remembered that ADO Recordsets can be saved to a file in their own format. Usually this is used for disconneted recordsets, which in this case is basically what you are doing, so it would work quite well also.

Thanks Ron for the detailed explanation. I appreciate the feedback.