I have designed a VB2005 executable to pick up data on a small network, from an Access2000 database. While designing [on what would be the "server" machine] I encountered no problems. When I moved the EXE to another machine on the network, I encountered this problem, fully reproducible and isolated as follows...

The problem began with being unable to connect [from machine 2] back to the Access2000 database on machine 1. All machines on the network are WinXP-Home boxes.

I can connect to any other Access2000 Database, there. I can also run, from machine 2, any MDB file EXCEPT the one causing problems. I could not COPY the MDB file from machine 1 to machine 2, receiving again, a notice that the file was either in use [NOT] or for which permissions were granted.

In an effort to determine what was going on, and isolate the cause, I made a copy of the MDB, and oddly COULD copy that copy across the network. BUT, if I started up that same copied-MDB into Access2000 on Machine 1 [just ONCE], I can no longer copy it across the network.

In further efforts to isolate the problem, I attempted to determine if any executing/startup code in the MDB was causing this glitch, and to my suprise, I discovered that even if I had NO CODE executing [setting startup form to <none>] , this weird behavior would continue.

To me, this indicates a weird unknown lock being set by the program [Access2000], on a run-once occurrence. Again, I can't even copy [a "runned-onced"] MDB file; and this behavior ONLY occurs for this single file.

I can repeatedly make copies of [and then execute] this MDB file. So long as any copy is not run in Access2000, I can copy the MDB across the network.

My dilemma is that this particular MDB file is full of tables and code, associated with full numbers of forms, and I can't access the data across a network, and I have no idea why. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks

[
Access2000 runs on a WinXP machine [machine 1].
Both Machines [#1 and #2] are NOT XP-Pro. They are XP-Home
The relevant folders are open and shared across the network.
]