any way to copy protect your java applications?

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: any way to copy protect your java applications?

any way to copy protect your java applications?

Hi,
    I need a way to copy protect a java application saved on a computer hard drive. Basically, without such protection, all someone needs to do is select all the class files, and then copy them to a CD-R or a floppy disc then paste it onto their own computer's hard drive. I know I cant disable the ability to copy class files, But an idea I had in mind was to write some code in the java program that will allow it to only run on a specified computer, otherwise, the java application will not function.

I was thinking that the java program would perform a test which can tell it if it is being run on computer x, if it is not being run on computer x, then all GUI listeners will be disabled, rendering the program useless. The idea is not to prevent people from copying the class files, but to make it so that if they do, the java program will not function if it is run on any computer OTHER than my own, rendering the program useless.

Is there any way for a java program to detect and recognize what computer it is being run on? Do computers have any signatures unique to their computer unit, such as a serial # or something that the java program can test for so it can know it is running on computer x or not?

if anyone can help me out, I'd greatly appriciate it
    Last edited by bob2000; 03-12-2007 at 09:14 PM.

So is there any one who atleast can tell me some kind of method or way that can allow me to "know" what computer a program is running on.

I dont know enough about computers, but is there any kind of signature or serial number unique to a computer unit that is stored someone on the computer, maybe a serial number or something, where I can write code in a java program to retreive and validate it. ie maybe somemethod exists along the lines of:
    Int number=Integer.getCompIDnumber()

I just need a way for a java program to validate that it is in fact running on computer x versus any NOT computer x.

ok well i dont know how to read a computer's serial # (if you even can) but you could just have the program try and open a file that you know is only related to your comp. if the program can open the file and read the contents then allow the program to run, otherwise close/disable everything. obviously not the most secure way, but a way nonetheless...

hey, I noticed if you go under Control panel/ System where it gives the general info about your computer's specs, it has a "Registered to User:" then it gives a long serial number.

Wouldnt this serial number be unique for every computer? Is there anyway for a java program to access this number form Controlpanel/system and run a check?

This seems promising to me to prevent a program from being copied and used on anther unauthorized computer.

no, java isnt a language that can access computer specific properties since java needs to be platform independent. you could write some C/C++ code that gets the id number and then call that program from java using Runtime.