[ASP.Net] Building development machine?

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: [ASP.Net] Building development machine?

Question [ASP.Net] Building development machine?

Hello

I'd like to learn how to write web apps in ASP.Net and VB.Net. But before I get to "Hello, World!"... I need to install all the pieces that are required. Ideally, I'd like to develop on XP Pro, but I also have a W2003 Server Standard host if XP is not OK. I'll also need to use a grid object (haven't looked yet: ComponentOne, Infragistics, etc.)

Apparently, here's what I need to do to be up and running:

1. Download and install the .Net Framework Redistributable Package
    2. Download and install the .Net SDK
    3. For better productivity, get a RAD IDE: Either Microsoft's Visual Studio, Visual Web Developer Express Edition, or the open-source SharpDevelop
    4. A development web server is included with Visual Studio, but you can also use MS' IIS, or the freely redistributable UltiDev Cassini web server which runs on Windows XP Home, Windows Vista, Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 Server.

Is this correct?

Thank you.

Yes, that is essentially correct. I would recommend that you simply download and install Visual Web Developer Express; it automatically installs all the other components you need. You may also wish to install SQL Server 2005 Express, which will allow you to develop data-driven Web applications which you may easily deploy to a Web hosting provider.
    Phil Weber
    http://www.philweber.com

Please post questions to the forums, where others may benefit.
    I do not offer free assistance by e-mail. Thank you!

I didn't know Visual Web Developer Express would install .Net (both framework and SDK), and provides a web server.

Edit: Following the online MSDN documentation, I successfully built my first little web app in ASP.Net :-)

Next problem: Just copying the .ASPX file that is generated through CTRL-F5 onto a remote ASP.Net server (W2003 + .Net + IIS) doesn't work: It complains that this file is not compiled. Hitting Build All in VWDExpress doesn't make any difference, nor googling for this.

Does it mean that projects built with VWDExpress can't run on a regular, full-fledged .Net server?

Thank you.
    Last edited by littlebigman; 05-31-2007 at 10:10 AM.

Setting up a web app on a server requires a bit more than just copying your .aspx file over, like setting up a virtual directory, etc.

I don't use VWD, but in VS2005, probably the 2 easiest ways are to use the Publish Website command, or to add an installer project to the website, compile it, and run the resulting installation .EXE on the server.

HTH,

-Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cushen
    Setting up a web app on a server requires a bit more than just copying your .aspx file over, like setting up a virtual directory, etc.
    I didn't mention that that remote web server is already up and running. OTOH, I'm not sure if it supports .Net 2.0.

I don't use VWD, but in VS2005, probably the 2 easiest ways are to use the Publish Website command, or to add an installer project to the website, compile it, and run the resulting installation .EXE on the server.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll read up on how to export a VWD project to an ISS server.

Actually, it's "IIS", not "ISS"!

Here's how to make sure that ASP.NET 2.0 is installed on a Windows 2003 server:

Go to the server, click START -> RUN, type in "inetmgr" (without the quotes). In the IIS Manager that opens up, on the left side, click the plus sign "+" next to the name of the server. Move down and double-left-click on the folder "Web Service Extensions". On the right side you should see several things listed. Check for "ASP.NET v2.0.50727". If it's not there, you need to install the .NET 2.0 framework ON THE SERVER. You can download the framework at http://asp.net/downloads/essential.aspx?tabid=62. You must run the installation while sitting at the server console (or at a remote console).

If it is there, make sure it says "Allowed" on the right. If not, click on "ASP.NET v2.0.50727" once, then click the "Allow" button to the left.

If your server is Windows 2000, let me know & I'll post instructions for it.

-Andrew
    Last edited by Andrew Cushen; 06-01-2007 at 11:24 AM. Reason: clarity

Here's how to make sure that ASP.NET 2.0 is installed on a Windows 2003 server:
    Thanks a bunch for all this information.