Problem with custom paging, maybe in my Stored Proc?

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Problem with custom paging, maybe in my Stored Proc?

Problem with custom paging, maybe in my Stored Proc?

I have a working example of how to do custom paging. I can get the custom paging to work, I can get it working with sorting, but when I try to get it working with sorting and filtering I run into problems.

I want to have a gridview control that displays a few of the record's fields. I want each row sortable, and I want to be able to filter it by state. I actually have three filters, but the user can only user one at a time, and the state is the simplest. If I can get that working I think I can get the others working as well.

My objectdatasource looks like this:

<asp:ObjectDataSource ID="ObjectDataSource1" runat="server" OldValuesParameterFormatString="original_{0}"
    SelectMethod="GetInmatesSubsetByStateSorted" TypeName="WAPTableAdapters.prisonmembersTableAdapter"
    EnablePaging="True" SelectCountMethod="GetInmatesByStateRowCount" SortParameterName="sortExpression">
    <SelectParameters>
    <asp:Parameter DefaultValue="NY" Name="State" Type="String" />
    </SelectParameters>
    </asp:ObjectDataSource>

GetInmatesSubsetByStateSorted and GetInmatesByStateRowCount are datasets built on stored procedures:

ALTER PROCEDURE GetInmatesSubsetByStateSorted
    (
    @State nvarchar(2),
    @sortExpression nvarchar(50),
    @startRowIndex int,
    @maximumRows int
    )
    AS
    If @State IS NULL
    EXEC dbo.GetInmatesSubsetSorted @SortExpression, @startRowIndex, @maximumRows
    ELSE

BEGIN
    -- Otherwise we want to get just those employees in the specified department
    IF LEN(@sortExpression) = 0
    SET @sortExpression = 'ID'

-- Since @startRowIndex is zero-based in the data Web control, but one-based w/ROW_NUMBER(), increment
    SET @startRowIndex = @startRowIndex + 1

-- Issue query
    DECLARE @sql nvarchar(4000)
    SET @sql = 'SELECT ID, FILE2, [LAST NAME], [FIRST NAME], [DOC NUMBER], [CORR FACILITY], ADDRESS, CITY, STATE, Country, [Zip Codes], RACE, [RELIGION 1], [EARLIEST RELEASE DATE], [DATE OF BIRTH], SIGN, [EYE COLOR], [HAIR COLOR], [SEXUAL ORIENTATION], Overseas, [SEEKING LEGAL], [DEATH ROW], LIFER, DONATIONS, PHOTO, POETRY, ARTWORK, [HOME TOWN], [MARITAL STATUS], [LATEST RELEASE DATE], [INCARCERATED SINCE], [AD TYPE], [MALE OR FEMALE], [INCARCERATED FOR], [REFERRED BY], [AD STARTED], [AD ENDS], PageViews, COMMENTS, Ad, NewAd, ReNewAd, SeekEmploy, EmploySkills, LiveOnRelease, NeedsMail, NeedsMailDate, Suspend
    FROM
    (SELECT ID, FILE2, [LAST NAME], [FIRST NAME], [DOC NUMBER], [CORR FACILITY], ADDRESS, CITY, STATE, Country, [Zip Codes], RACE, [RELIGION 1], [EARLIEST RELEASE DATE], [DATE OF BIRTH], SIGN, [EYE COLOR], [HAIR COLOR], [SEXUAL ORIENTATION], Overseas, [SEEKING LEGAL], [DEATH ROW], LIFER, DONATIONS, PHOTO, POETRY, ARTWORK, [HOME TOWN], [MARITAL STATUS], [LATEST RELEASE DATE], [INCARCERATED SINCE], [AD TYPE], [MALE OR FEMALE], [INCARCERATED FOR], [REFERRED BY], [AD STARTED], [AD ENDS], PageViews, COMMENTS, Ad, NewAd, ReNewAd, SeekEmploy, EmploySkills, LiveOnRelease, NeedsMail, NeedsMailDate, Suspend,
    ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY ' + @sortExpression + ') as RowNum
    FROM prisonmembers
    WHERE State = @State
    ) as InmateInfo
    WHERE RowNum BETWEEN ' + CONVERT(nvarchar(10), @startRowIndex) +
    ' AND (' + CONVERT(nvarchar(10), @startRowIndex) + ' + '
    + CONVERT(nvarchar(10), @maximumRows) + ') - 1'

-- Execute the SQL query
    EXEC sp_executesql @sql
    END

and

ALTER PROCEDURE dbo.GetInmatesByStateRowCount
    (
    @State nvarchar(2)
    )
    AS
    IF @State IS NULL
    EXEC GetInmatesRowCount
    ELSE
    SELECT COUNT(*)
    FROM prisonmembers
    WHERE State = @State
    RETURN

I'm getting the following error:

Must declare the scalar variable "@State".

The source is code that generated thee error is in a file that was generated by Visual Studio. Is my problem in one of the the stored procedures? I don't see how it can be in the Dataset, I used the Designer.

I can get rid of the error by removing the line in blue above in the stored procedure, but then no records at all are returned. I've been struggling with this for a couple of weeks, and am no closer to a solution, despite a working example!

Diane

The error would indicate that you haven't defined a parameter (in the .NET code) named "@State".
    Paul
    ~~~~
    Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Or it could be a scope problem. I do define the variable, which is why I'm asking for help.

Diane

I see @State defined in your sp but not in your code. Could you post your .NET code which includes the parameter declarations?
    Paul
    ~~~~
    Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)