dcsimg

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Import flat file text

Hybrid View

Import flat file text

I am trying to build an opensource text importer that will enable a user to import columnar non-delimited data from a flat file, make a guess at column boundaries, allow the user to adjust/change column boundaries visually, allow the user to specify field names and data types for columns, and allow the user to highlight and remove rows and columns they do not want imported. Then the data will be converted into a form suitable for use in a spreadsheet or database and saved in a new file.

In essence, I'm trying to build a simpler form of the MS Access/Excel "get external data" tool as a Java class/library. Conceptually, this doesn't seem that difficult. The biggest problem I have at the moment is the block separator lines contained in the data files. These files are a result of web based database dumps. Many times there are several header lines that identify the database and such, and then separator lines (usually time or geography markings) heading up each block of columnar data. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to distinguish columnar data from non-columnar data aside from processing a dozen lines or so to guess at column boundaries.

I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if you know of any opensource tools that can perform any of the functions I've mentioned. I'm also open to any suggestions regarding a direction to take in terms of design. I'm also looking for some suggestions regarding what package(s) to use to build the GUI.

Thanks in advance.

why you dont use CSV file format , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values
    you can find libraries for CSV ...

Legacy files

I would if I were creating the files. Unfortunately, most of these files are legacy database query reports. Even many of the new ones come in the same form as the database website interface dictates the format of the saved query results, not the user. I have no control over the saved file format.

Is there any difference between header lines and data lines?
    Can you, please, give us an example of the file?
    I assume that you should use regular expressions in order to automate the process of division.

File may have format like this...

Transaction ID: 0000000-00-0000
    User: xxxxxxxxxx
    Date: 22-MAY-2007 14:56:23.45

Wed 13-MAR-2007

ab cdef gh ijklmno pqrs tuvw xyz

Thu 14-MAR-2007

Fri 15-MAR-2007

Opening text is variable in length depending on the type of database report the user asked for. The separator lines between blocks of columnar data, when they exist, generally don't exceed 3 lines. This type of text file is fairly easy to import if you have access to the "Get External Data" tool in MS Access/Excel. In my case, the users I'm trying to help don't have MS Office, which is why I'm building this tool. Many of the files represent the exact same query with the exception of date ranges. Once the user identifies columns in such a file, they want to save those settings for reuse. Using these settings as a filter, I could automatically hide/delete rows that don't fit the column boundaries, making the initial processing of subsequent files easier.

File may have format like this...

Transaction ID: 0000000-00-0000
    User: xxxxxxxxxx
    Date: 22-MAY-2007 14:56:23.45

Wed 13-MAR-2007

Thu 14-MAR-2007

Fri 15-MAR-2007

Opening text is variable in length depending on the type of database report the user asked for. The separator lines between blocks of columnar data, when they exist, generally don't exceed 3 lines. This type of text file is fairly easy to import if you have access to the "Get External Data" tool in MS Access/Excel. In my case, the users I'm trying to help don't have MS Office, which is why I'm building this tool. Many of the files represent the exact same query with the exception of date ranges. Once the user identifies columns in such a file, they want to save those settings for reuse. Using these settings as a filter, I could automatically hide/delete rows that don't fit the column boundaries, making the initial processing of subsequent files easier.

So, are there any known restrictions for the columnar data? (alphabetical only, alphanumeric, etc.) And is there any possibility to know the number of columns?
    Why not to use RegExp and split function? As I suspect, this will allow you to ignore all the lines with different number of elements.

Use Scanner. It is made for this kind of a challenge. Break input file into tokens using "CR/NL" combination as the delimiter. Then, creating a new Scanner instance, break each token into sub-tokens using whitespace as the delimiter. Use getNext() or nextInt() or whatever, inserting tabs after each token, until there is no "next" remaining.
    Last edited by nspils; 09-19-2007 at 08:04 PM.

hms,
    if it's allowed simply ignoring -umatched amount of words- in a line,
    my words below are irrelevant.

there should be detailed definition of the output format.
    someway it should handle some situations:
    forexample what if 'data in a column' includes whitespace(which is also 'column seperator') or newline(which is also 'row seperator')...

wikipedia CSV link explains these special situations, you may adopt.
    if you cant find a library :
    - you may alter an opensource CSV library.
    - a person who has experience with antlr, javacc etc. may help you.(best)
    - you will write your parser by hand.(worst)

good luck.