Problem with thread priorities

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Problem with thread priorities

Hybrid View

Problem with thread priorities

In my C++ console application running under Windows XP, a thread with THREAD_PRIORITY_HIGHEST (Thread B) is preempting a thread with THREAD_PRIORITY_TIME_CRITICAL (Thread A).

Thread B is blocking on a WaitForSingleObject() call. Thread A will wake Thread B with a SetEvent() call. But since Thread A has higher priority, I would expect Thread A to complete running before Thread B will run. But thatís not the case. As soon as Thread A issues the SetEvent() call, Thread B starts running even though it has a lower priority than Thread A.

I disabled priority boost, thinking that might be the culprit, but I still see this happening. Does anyone know what else could be causing this?

Thanks for your help.

Do you possibly have a dual core processor? Or a sleep or wait state in the higher thread?

I don't have a sleep or wait state in the higher priority thread (at least not one that affects this particular portion of the code). But I do have a dual core processor and I think I see what you're getting at. You think when the lower priority thread is woken, it might be running in parallel with the higher priority thread? Is there a way to stop this from happening (other than using more semaphores, etc.)?

A dual core will run one thread on each processor; if that is undesirable you will need a mutex or other thread safety locks etc to prevent it.

This is what you *want* to happen on a parallel algorithm ... I have messed with it and found that dual core machines really do run twice as fast when both threads are in time critical mode (which keeps the OS honest). On an algorithm where the two tasks are dependant, its a problem and you will have to delay them / use semaphores etc.
    Last edited by jonnin; 10-04-2007 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks jonin, I think running on a dual core machine was my problem. I used "xcpu" (www.appliedvisual.com/xcpu.htm) to restrict my application to running on only one core and things work now. Is there any way to programmatically tell my application to use only one core when it first executes?

I dont know, but probably there is. You could make the app single threaded, why are you multi threading if you do not want the performance boost?

It really sounds like you need a single threaded design. Why bother so much with threads when you have to run each thread separately?
    Danny Kalev

Well, the context is that I'm taking code written for an embedded device and writing a simulation of the device in Windows using the actual code. The device uses a commercial RTOS, has a single core CPU and its software is multi-threaded. My computer is running Windows on a dual core CPU. But I found the function SetProcessAffinityMask() that lets me designate a single core to execute on and that has been working well for me.

Thanks for the help, jonnin.

I suspect that testing MT code written for a single core machine on a dual core machine isn't valid. You should force a single core execution to test the original code.
    Danny Kalev