need help someone!

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: need help someone!

need help someone!

A common requirement is for a program to look for a given piece of data in an array by examining each position in the array in turn. This is known as a linear search. Write a program which reads and stores in an array 10 integers from the command line, and then prompts the user to enter a single integer from standard input. If the entered number occurs in the array, the program should print out the first index at which it occurs:
    > ./a.out 4 39 5 3 0 34 9 99 66 44
    Enter number: 39
    Found at position 1

If the entered number does not appear in the array the program should print out the message "Not found":
    > ./a.out 4 39 5 3 0 34 9 99 66 44
    Enter number: 42
    Not found

i have to write a program for that but i am stuck! can someone help and send it to my email or post it!

emir_abushala@hotmail.com

thanks

Where are you stuck?

You declare main as so:
    int main(int argc, char**argv)

and use the char* array (argv) to create a list of numbers on the command line.

just loop from 0 to TheNumbersCount .. and compare with the given number if it equals any number inside the loop, break with found at position TheLoopIndex otherwise if it exit the loop without finding anything print Not Found ... try to do it yourself and if you get any problem ask here again ...
    Programmer&Cracker CS
    MyBlog:Blog.Amahdy.com
    MyWebsite:www.Amahdy.com

:cool: i wrote that as u said but i dont have the program with me now! cant access it till monday.. but somethin i did wrong and am gettin real frustrated.. if any of u is kind enough and bored to write me the complete program please so i can at least compare wat i did wrong? i will put on the program i wrote as soon as i get it from my office.. monday most probably..
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ea89
    :cool: i wrote that as u said but i dont have the program with me now! cant access it till monday.. but somethin i did wrong and am gettin real frustrated.. if any of u is kind enough and bored to write me the complete program please so i can at least compare wat i did wrong? i will put on the program i wrote as soon as i get it from my office.. monday most probably..
    cheers
    No one will write the program for you champ..

Show some effort and you will get plenty of help!