Enterprise Library ObjectValidator

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Enterprise Library ObjectValidator

Enterprise Library ObjectValidator

I'm trying to validate user input using the Enterprise Library provided by Microsoft.

I've run into a problem when I'm trying to validate a sub class. i.e. I'm validating a Theme class which has a property called CoverFrameColor, this is of type MyColor. MyColor has 3 properties Red, Green and Blue. I need to validate that each property is within the range 0 - 255.

I'm doing this through app.config as well. The problem comes because I'm using the Tag property of the validator to store the control to display and update with the error message on the form.

When I use the ObjectValidator to validate CoverFrameColor, it validates correctly the problem is that I can seem to get the Tag value of the ObjectValidator, I can only get the tag values of the individual rangevalidators on the Red, Green and Blue properties.

Has anybody got any ideas on how I can validate these sub class properties but retain the Tag value from the FrameColor validator?

Here's the app.config.
    Code:
    <type defaultRuleset="ThemeDefinitionDefaultRuleSet" assemblyName="ThemeDefinitionTool, Version=1.0.2900.27879, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"
          name="ThemeDefinitionTool.ThemeDefinition">
          <ruleset name="ThemeDefinitionDefaultRuleSet">
            <properties>
              <property name="CoverFrameColor">
                <validator targetRuleset="MyColorDefaultRuleSet" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Validation.Validators.ObjectValidator, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Validation, Version=3.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
                  name="Object Validator" />
              </property>
     </type>
     <type defaultRuleset="MyColorDefaultRuleSet" assemblyName="ThemeDefinitionTool, Version=1.0.2902.30020, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"
          name="ThemeDefinitionTool.MyColor">
          <ruleset name="MyColorDefaultRuleSet">
            <properties>
              <property name="Red">
                <validator lowerBound="0" lowerBoundType="Inclusive" upperBound="255"
                  upperBoundType="Inclusive" negated="false" messageTemplate="Must be between 0 - 255"
                  messageTemplateResourceName="" messageTemplateResourceType=""
                  tag="" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Validation.Validators.RangeValidator, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Validation, Version=3.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
                  name="Range Validator" />
              </property>
              <property name="Green">
                  upperBoundType="Inclusive" negated="false" messageTemplate="Must be between 0 - 255"
                  tag="" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Validation.Validators.RangeValidator, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Validation, Version=3.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
              </property>
              <property name="Blue">
              </property>
            </properties>
          </ruleset>
        </type>
    Thanks
    Last edited by Hack; 12-13-2007 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Added Code Tags