Run database without Access

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Run database without Access

Run database without Access

Is an easy way availlable to prepare a mdb-file to run without Access being installed? I was on internet to get an answer, but, due to lack of experience, I'm not able to judge the information I get. Your help is appreciated.

That depends on what you mean by "run".

You can use Access as a backend database on a machine that does not have Access installed providing you do not need to use things like Access Reports or Access Queries.

Both of those require that the database be opened, and that can only be done if Access is installed.

If all you are doing is using the DB as a place to store data, and nothing else, then Access would not have to be installed.
    I don't answer coding questions via PM or Email. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum section.
    Please use [Code]your code goes in here[/Code] tags when posting code.
    Before posting your question, did you look here?
    Got a question on Linux? Visit our Linux sister site.
    Modifications Required For VB6 Apps To Work On Vista

I mean to use the application abnd that includes MS Access queries and reports. I thought there is something like runtime version without knowing if MS Access is necessary for that nor how to do that.

For queries and reports I believe you would need to have Access installed.
    I don't answer coding questions via PM or Email. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum section.

Sorry Hack. Some time ago I saw an access database that worked without access being installed. I understood that certain parts of access are added to the database. Access menu gives the function to prepare a mbe-file of the database. I do not believe that file runs without access. I'm unable to test it due to the system giving an error "Microsoft was unable to create a mbe-file". I'm still searching for a solution for having a stand alone access database.

Why do you think it is giving that error?

Could it be because Access isn't installed?

Access gives me the menu choise to make a mde-file, so access is then availlable and gives me the error with a message box.

This article explains how to use runtime-only Access and how to configure your database for it.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...ffice.11).aspx

mde files can be created by access but they still require Access to run. They are usually used just for the front-end user interface elements, not data.

The "Access cannot create an mde file" could have many causes: 1- the file format must be the same as the version you are running (Access 2003 can read Access 2000/2002 file formats, but it can only make an mde from a file in 2003 format). 2- the file may need compiling, etc.

Thanks for your comments. I believe I managed to do what I wanted to do. I splitted the database (mbd-file) in a front and backend and compiled the frondend to a mde-file both with the standard menu functions in MS Access 2003. Before compilation of the frondend I added the code which I found on internet page http://www.databasedev.co.uk/disable_shift_bypass.html to disable the [SHIFT] key and to create an option for me to enable this key. This database is now running with the runtime of MS Access 2003 which I found on internet page http://www.rimesrv.net/download.htm.
    Like I said I believe this solved my problem, but does one of you see an error in this solution? Secondly, to create an option for me to enable the [SHIFT] key I created a button on the main menu. I thought to be clever and made this button invisible for the user. Then I found this button does not work once it is made invisible. Is this correct and does one of you have an other proposal to create a hidden point to access the backend?

The button won't work if it is not visible simply because it won't be visible to click.

You could set it up so that it is visible but only for certain login ids.

If you distribute the Access 2003 Runtime you downloaded from the specified link, you are distributing it illegally.

The non-royalty LICENSE to DISTRIBUTE Access 2003 Runtime with your own application (there is no license to distribute it by itself) is ONLY available with the Access Developers Extensions (ADE), which were part of the "Visual Studio Tools for Office 2003".

Presumably, whoever posted the download on that site had such a license.
    If you intend to distribute your own, you need one as well.

Whether anyone at Microsoft cares and whether you want to take the chance is up to you, but if you don't have the ADE, anyone who uses the runtime you distribute is technically using pirated software.

Note that the Access 2007 Runtime is a free download available from Microsoft, but PRIOR versions were NOT.
    --------------------
    Regarding the Shift Bypass: I attach a click event to a logo or some other object on the main form. When clicked, it asks for a password. If supplied correctly (usually an existing password, but backwards), Autoshift Bypass is set to True. (Code called by AutoExec sets Autoshift Bypass to False, so the first time the mdb is opened without shift pressed, Bypass will automatically be restored to False).

mylocaldentists

Know anybody can answer in detail so that any person can easily known the way.

I don't understand the question.

I don't understand your comment Mylocaldentists.

Yours are clear GeorgeN, but I'm only working with access as a hobby. Although I was already looking on the internet for the devellopers tools, but not convinced yet if that is already necessary for me.

Regarding the 'invisible' button it is now solved to give the button the background colour (transparent) and it is activated with a double click on a unexpected position.