Runtime error '48' Error loading dll Windows XP Home

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Runtime error '48' Error loading dll Windows XP Home

Runtime error '48' Error loading dll Windows XP Home

I've got a new version of software that I've just been trying to test on one of my home machines that uses Windows XP Home Edition. The software is installed successfully and runs successfully but when I attempt to open any document using the software (which basically corresponds to opening a record in a database), I get Runtime Error '48' 'Error Loading dll'. This only happens on this machine though. On our test machines which use WinXP Pro (SP2), the error does not occur and I also tested on my sister's machine which uses WinXP Pro as well (although not clean) but its also fine as well.

I also tried using an older version of our software (which uses DAO and Access 97) on the WinXP Home machine and this works fine but when upgraded to the new version (which uses ADO and Access 2000) the problem starts occuring.

I've had a look on the internet with little success. Anyone got any ideas what this problem could be caused by? (although from what I've said here its a bit of a needle in a haystack problem!)

I would use a tool like SysInternals' FileMon to try to determine which DLL is causing the error.
    Phil Weber
    http://www.philweber.com

Please post questions to the forums, where others may benefit.
    I do not offer free assistance by e-mail. Thank you!

My home computer has Office XP installed on it and I have seen some people report a problem between some programs running WITH Access XP and NOT Access 2003 but my problem seems to be that the program won't run with..

Windows XP Home Edition SP 2
    Microsoft Office XP

The new application uses ADO and not DAO and so (along with all the other problems we've had with upgrading to ADO!) I think its something to do with this. Our other software that we haven't yet upgraded to ADO but now uses Access 2000 databases works fine!

I'm pretty sure it must be that a DLL associated with ADO is missing or in the wrong place. Is there somewhere that I can find a list of all dlls associated with ADO?

Phil I tried FileMon but could not seem to pinpoint which exact dll its failing to load. I might try and give it another try today.

You might try this tool: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307255
    Phil Weber
    http://www.philweber.com

Please post questions to the forums, where others may benefit.
    I do not offer free assistance by e-mail. Thank you!

Hi Phil,

Just tried that but it looks as if MDAC is all installed OK. The version on my system is 2.81.1117 (according to the registry)

I did notice in FileMon that the last file that was accessed before the 'Error in loading dll' error occured was MSADODC.OCX in C;\WINDOWS\system32 (although result said SUCCESS). Although this looks like an ActiveX Data control, could this still generate this error? I tried unregistering and reregistering it with no success.

Its irritating how the error message doesn't tell you which exact dll is missing or corrupt or whatever! Any other ideas anyone?

On the CD the software came on, are there DLL files or nothing but a Setup.Exe?
    I don't answer coding questions via PM or Email. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum section.
    Please use [Code]your code goes in here[/Code] tags when posting code.
    Before posting your question, did you look here?
    Got a question on Linux? Visit our Linux sister site.
    Modifications Required For VB6 Apps To Work On Vista

Its an Installshield Package setup so its just one single file

This is just a SWAG, but try uninstalling the app and reinstalling it.
    I don't answer coding questions via PM or Email. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum section.

OK Hack

I'll give that a try and let you know how I get on

Hack,

I tried reinstalling and it didn't help. One of our customers has reported this problem which seems to be the same as the issue that I'm having at home

They are using WINDOWS XP PRO VERSION 2002 SP2 and OFFICE 2003

I've tried it on our test machines which have the same version of Windows XP Pro SP2 (although they don't have Office installed)

I did try it on one of our other machines which has Windows XP Pro SP2 and Office 2000 installed but could still not get the problem to occur

Need help desperately!

So, are you saying this is now happening on XP Pro as well as XP Home?

Looks like it as this customer is running XP Pro.

Two questions:

Can you replicate this error in your shop?

Can you detect any similiarities in clients that are experiencing this issue?

My sister's computer that I told you about earlier uses Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2 and Office XP SP3 with Access 2002 SP3 and it works fine on this computer. On my home computer which has Windows XP Home with Office XP SP3 and Access 2002 SP3, I get the 'Error loading Dll' message. The clients computer has Windows XP Professional SP2 with Office 2003 (although I don't know for certain what version of Access he is using but I will find that out tomorrow). At the moment I can't see any apparent similarities. Any ideas?

Also, I haven't been able to replicate the issue on our test machines but I will try installing Office 2003 on one of the machines to see what happens

I'm gonna try and run our software on one of our test machines at work with Office 2003 installed and see if I can reproduce this error.