DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: getting a Run-time error '3265' Item cannot be found in the collection......

getting a Run-time error '3265' Item cannot be found in the collection......

Hi,

I've recently released some new versions of our software which use MS Access 2000 databases and ADO. One of our Turkish customers has upgraded his software (which used Access 97 and DAO) to this latest version of the software and for some reason whenever he tries to open ANY document (which corresponds to a database record), he gets...

Run-time error '3265' Item cannot be found in the collection corresponding to the requested name or ordinal.

He is using Windows 2000 (unsure as to what service pack, I'm still waiting to hear back from him on that) and he has just installed MDAC 2.8 on this machine. I also believe he has his regional settings set to Turkish. However, I have not been able to reproduce the problem with any of his databases that he has sent me. Each document opens perfectly fine on our test machines!

Anyone got any ideas???? This error sounds like it can't find a field in the database???

Quote Originally Posted by adstheman
    This error sounds like it can't find a field in the database???
    That is exactly what it means.

As this is just an Access database, contact your customer and have him ship a copy of the database he is using to you.

You need to visually inspect what he has.

He's already sent me all his databases that he's using and I can't get the error to occur using them our test machines.

It does definately sound like it can't find a field in the database but then why does it work OK on our test machine when we use the same databases?

I'm totally stumped

Then to my mind, there is only one other thing it could be, and that is he is running old, or at least different, code.

Do you have a copy of the program he is running?

Call him, and ask him to give you the date/time stamp and file size of the Exe he is using.

Do you happen to be using UCase or LCase in your code? If so, you may be running into the problem described in the last question on this page: http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/D...3/default.mspx
    Phil Weber
    http://www.philweber.com

Please post questions to the forums, where others may benefit.
    I do not offer free assistance by e-mail. Thank you!

I'm not in the office at the mo but I've just found a microsoft post that sounds like the same problem

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q279651/

The customer is using Windows in Turkish and the new software uses ADO (not DAO which is what the original used) which is why this problem is only occuring on his machine. I haven't tested it yet but I'm basically certain that this is what his problem is

Sorry Phil, just looked at your post again and you had already pointed out this problem!!! Thanks for that

Looks like its gonna be a pain to fix tho as I'll have to change every single field name that contains 'i' to the correct case!! (hopefully there aren't too many)

Right it seems that the error is fixed in the latest version of MDAC (I've been trying it on the test machines and using MDAC 2.7 causes the problem) but upgrading to 2.8 stops the problem from occuring. On the post that Microsoft put up it does not mention that the problem applies to 2.8 but only 2.5, 2.5 SP1, 2.6 and 2.7 so I assume they fixed in the issue in this release. I've told the customer to ensure that they have the latest MDAC components so I'm gonna see what that does