Cellphone encryption software?

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Cellphone encryption software?

Question Cellphone encryption software?

Hello,

I need a good encryption software for two cell phones, in order to be able to have a secure conversation with my bussines partner, so I searched for some answers on the net. I found PhoneCrypt, Smart Phone encryption, CryptoPhone. Is anyone using one of those software or can give me some advice regarding the sound quality, the security of the conversation and maybe you can also tell which one is less expensive ? I asked already the customer support for PhoneCrypt if our VPA Compact S are compatible with the software and is OK

Thanks,
    Cya soon

I haven't had any experience with these tools but my humble experience suggests that proper encryption also requires some support from the hardware as well, or else, the encryption software can be disabled or cracked rather easily. You didn't state who you're trying to protect your calls from -- if it's just your competitors, software could give you a fairly reasonable level of security but if it's other agencies you're afraid of, you should probably consider other means as well.
    Danny Kalev

Thank you for response

Quote Originally Posted by Danny
    I haven't had any experience with these tools but my humble experience suggests that proper encryption also requires some support from the hardware as well, or else, the encryption software can be disabled or cracked rather easily. You didn't state who you're trying to protect your calls from -- if it's just your competitors, software could give you a fairly reasonable level of security but if it's other agencies you're afraid of, you should probably consider other means as well.
    First of all I have to thank you for your reply,

Meanwhile I contacted the customer support of SecurStar to get some detailed informations about their software and I found out that the voice is transferred in encrypted form over the entire telephone network so that any third party cannot intercept it. Also the communications encryption is made with 256 bit AES (SHA 256) algorithm and it has 4096 bit RSA key exchange encryption.The software detects and alerts man-in-the-middle attacks, it securely encrypts SMS messages and also protects the storage area of the telephone by encrypting data (documents, excel sheets, emails etc) so cell phone security will remain secure even if the device is stolen or lost.

About the purpose of getting this type of software is to protect the conversation against the competitors or any other persons who would try to intercept our calls. I`ll make further research for other software and I`ll tell more about them.

Cheers

You can use a Navastream , secure cell phone encryption software.

Thank you Catherine for your suggestion, I`ve been on their home page and it looks that both companies are offering a similar software, same characteristics regarding encryption algorithm and key. However what I could not find on the homepage of Navastream was informations about costs. Also for questions to the support team you have just two telephone numbers (this is different at SecurStar where you can have a live chat with the customer support or you can write them a ticket and you get a written answer containing all details you wish to know) but maybe I`ll call to get more informations.

OK, you're welcome to update us with your conclusions, recommendations etc.
    Danny Kalev

Does anyone know if both phones have to have the encryption software for it to work? I am mostly trying to protect my own cell phone for personal reasons. Seems an ex-boyfriend has found some cell phone software that allows him to read my text messages. I know this post is old. Please help!

Hi,
    With any encryption software both phone have to use the encryption software on it. PhoneCrypt can also encrypt your SMS messages and if you are attacked in any means by someone, it shows you a "skull" and tells you who the agressor is. Anyway if you just want to eliminate your current problem, try to "factory reset" your phone, this will delete all data on your phone and bring it back to the status when you bought it, but it will also delete the virus your ex-BF may have installed.

Factory Reset seems like a good solution to this problem. However, a friend of mine is using Smart Phone encryption and it seems he does not have any problem with it.

Yes, factory reset can fix the problem.
    Last edited by cyrus12009; 12-04-2009 at 01:22 AM.
    6600 games are cool stuff for your mobile phone.

ya PhoneCrypt is awesome i would say! you know since I purchased this solved i would feel naked without it. Excellent voice quality and high secure conversations.

i have not tried this yet but one of my friend is using this software but according to his point of view, because of encryption he is compromising with voice quality.

Quote Originally Posted by mobianalytics View Post
    i have not tried this yet but one of my friend is using this software but according to his point of view, because of encryption he is compromising with voice quality.
    Same here, I barely can understand what someone's saying