Access Database, using VB as front end

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Access Database, using VB as front end

Wink Access Database, using VB as front end

I am creating a database in Access 2007. I have downloaded VB2008 Express edition off th enet. I would like to know if it is simple to use VB as a front end to communicate with the Access Database? and how can we do that.

I would also like to discuss about my database:

I am working on creating a database for a Robotic machine that prepares syringes. The database will include all its part numbers and part information. The way we have it right now is on simple excel file with different levels for different part numbers. Eg: the main system is on level 1, its sub-component is on level 2, and its sub-sub component is Level 3.

I need to find out a way how to make a database on Access or SQL Mgmt Studio Express and use some other software (of which we will grant access to users) to display/add/edit the database. The end user will be our technician and our internal engineers, who can see the database, update the part number (to be installed or removed) for its relevant system (Robot).

What I have done is.. I created a database with a master table in which I got
    UniqueID (Primary key), PartNumber, PartName, Quantity, ParentID (that contains the parent of the respective partnumber)

I want to create another table that autogenerate values from the relationship between parentid from master table.. I want it to link with its child abd create relationships. I am unsure as how to do it.

Thirdly, in future, if we want to enter more items or delete old ones, the relationship table should remove all relationship from the table (save it in a table) and make new ones as required.

Eventually I want the user to view the information on VB (to make it more interactive).. if u have better options please let me know..

I will really appreciate if I can get help on the above topics..

Connecting is easy enough
    Code:
    mports System.Data.OleDb

Public Class Form1

Private connstring As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=c:\fullpath\yourmdb.mdb;"
        Private conn As OleDb.OleDbConnection

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            conn = New OleDbConnection(connstring)
            conn.Open()
        End Sub
    End Class
    I don't answer coding questions via PM or Email. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum section.
    Please use [Code]your code goes in here[/Code] tags when posting code.
    Before posting your question, did you look here?
    Got a question on Linux? Visit our Linux sister site.
    Modifications Required For VB6 Apps To Work On Vista

Also, isn't this the project where you wanted to use SharePoint as a front end? Have you switched from that to VB.NET?
    Quote Originally Posted by binnymann
    I want to create another table that autogenerate values from the relationship between parentid from master table.. I want it to link with its child abd create relationships. I am unsure as how to do it.
    Access has autonumber as a field type.
    I don't answer coding questions via PM or Email. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum section.
    Please use [Code]your code goes in here[/Code] tags when posting code.
    Before posting your question, did you look here?
    Got a question on Linux? Visit our Linux sister site.
    Modifications Required For VB6 Apps To Work On Vista

This is basically the Employee/Manager thing. A manager is just another employee, right? So each employee record has a column for the manager id, which is really just the employee id of the manager's record. Like:

Code:
    EmpID  MgrID   Position  ...
    1001    NULL    CEO
    1002    1001    VP Sales
    1003    1001    VP IT
    1004    1001    VP Tech Ops
    1005    1002    Manager Sales
    VP's report to the CEO.
    Manager of Sales reports to VP of Sales...

There is no limit to the number of levels of hierarchy you can have and only one table needed.
    It's not what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know that just ain't so. -Mark Twain