dcsimg

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: "using kernel32 to read serial port into Excel" Reloaded

"using kernel32 to read serial port into Excel" Reloaded

Hi,
    I need to write data to the serial port using VBA in Excel, but I need to do it using API and not any third party controls like MSCOMM.

I am not an expert programmer (I am actually a hardware engineer) but I have a fairly good ideea of programming in various environments (I am "literate"). So I had to look at what others did before me.

I am using the attached code, which is an adaptation (actually a simplification) after some code that has been discussed in another thread on this forum, few months ago. The thread is called "using kernel32 to read serial port into Excel" and the code is in the attached text file.

What I need it to do, is that at the press of a button, some string would be sent to the serial port. The code I attached actually runs, without any compilations or runtime errors. However, it does not really send anything to the port. I know this, because a) I have a device attached to the serial port and it does not receive any message and b) I monitor the TX line with an oscilloscope.

What I can say is that the operation of opening the port is successful. Normally, when the port is not open the TX line would be at about 10V which means a logic 0. When I perform the open port operation (the "CreateFile" line of code), I can see the line going to -10V which is a logic 1, and which is the dominant state of the bus; so far so good. But when I perform the "WriteFile" operation, which in my understanding is the one that actually sends the data to the port, I do not see the TX line toggling. It just stays at a logic 1. When I perform the CloseHandle (hCommHandle) operation, the TX line goes back to 0 logic, so the port is closed.

I am a little confused, because the WriteFile operation actually returns a value of "1", which would indicate no error occurs...

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Regards,
    Cristian
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by brumbarchris View Post
    I need to write data to the serial port using VBA in Excel, but I need to do it using API and not any third party controls like MSCOMM.
    Those are pretty rigid conditions. Why do you need to go this route when using it would make your life so much easier.

Also, MSComm is NOT a third party control. It is a Microsoft control that ships with the development platform.

Re: "using kernel32 to read serial port into Excel" Reloaded

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I am aware that MSCOMM is not really third party. But I need an application that will work on ANY fresh WinXP installation. And an application using MSCOMM will not fulfill that goal.

The app will be deployed in many places without anybody to maintain the PCs or adjust them. I just need a simple file to be distributed with a memory stick.

So... any idea why the code does not work?

Regards,
    Cristian