Defining v. Coding

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Defining v. Coding

Defining v. Coding

I've always wondered if there was a tool out there that reduced the coding behind application development, but made it easier to develop apps simply by defining, rather than coding.

Since we use controls anyways, why should we spend so much time recoding everything, when we could just simply define our business logic?

Maybe this is just a far fetched thought...

Computers don't understand definitions unless the definitions have been coded.
    I don't answer coding questions via PM or Email. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum section.
    Please use [Code]your code goes in here[/Code] tags when posting code.
    Before posting your question, did you look here?
    Got a question on Linux? Visit our Linux sister site.
    Modifications Required For VB6 Apps To Work On Vista

Good point, but couldn't defining take off just like controls? For things like API's, infrastructure, etc. it would be great to cut down on coding those and just define them.

APIs need to be declared to be used. For that you need code.
    Quote Originally Posted by User Experience
    but couldn't defining take off just like controls?
    I don't know what you mean by that question.
    I don't answer coding questions via PM or Email. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum section.

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    APIs need to be declared to be used. For that you need code.I don't know what you mean by that question.
    I mean, all developers use controls now, and simplifying application development seems to be the way everything is moving, that being said, defining applications instead of coding them from scratch all the time could be the next step.

Quote Originally Posted by User Experience View Post
    defining applications instead of coding them from scratch all the time could be the next step.
    I sincerely hope not. If it did move that way I would not want to have to actually use the application for anything important.

I think the controls you are referring to are bound controls. Using Bound Controls (which I feel is evil) does simplify coding. It is also far more inflexible than doing the actual coding yourself. You are giving control over what happens, how it happens, when it happens and why it happens to a control created by a software development company.

I prefer having that control in my own hands.

I sincerely hope not. If it did move that way I would not want to have to actually use the application for anything important.

I think the controls you are referring to are bound controls. Using Bound Controls (which I feel is evil) does simplify coding. It is also far more inflexible than doing the actual coding yourself. You are giving control over what happens, how it happens, when it happens and why it happens to a control created by a software development company.

I prefer having that control in my own hands.
    I was under the impression that controls are widely used. I'm a beginner to software development and programming, so forgive me for my many questions, but aren't controls used by a lot of developers?

I've been developing on a platform that lets me "define" my logic rather than having to code it, and I find it a lot easier to work with, similar to controls, but maybe I just haven't experience enough developing.

Yes, controls are widely used. They have to be. Without controls your program would not be able to allow the user to actually do anything with it.

There are two different types of controls, however.

Bound Controls and Unbound Controls. Bound Controls actually bind themselves to an external data source, usually a database, and automatically display the corresponding data without have to do any actually coding.

Unbound controls just sit there on the screen and don't do anything until the programmer writes code that makes the controls work.

Most experienced programmers will take the unbound controls over the bound controls every day of the week because when you are the person actually writing the code you have far more control over what happens, when it happens, how it happens and why it happens.

When you use bound controls, all of that is removed and you are left with whatever the bound controls decides to give you.

Binding has made important strides in the .NET world - but personally, I still do not use them.

Yes, controls are widely used. They have to be. Without controls your program would not be able to allow the user to actually do anything with it.

There are two different types of controls, however.

Bound Controls and Unbound Controls. Bound Controls actually bind themselves to an external data source, usually a database, and automatically display the corresponding data without have to do any actually coding.

Unbound controls just sit there on the screen and don't do anything until the programmer writes code that makes the controls work.

Most experienced programmers will take the unbound controls over the bound controls every day of the week because when you are the person actually writing the code you have far more control over what happens, when it happens, how it happens and why it happens.

When you use bound controls, all of that is removed and you are left with whatever the bound controls decides to give you.

Binding has made important strides in the .NET world - but personally, I still do not use them.
    At first I figured that making developing easier would appeal to developers, as I'm developing currently but not really coding that much, as opposed to just "defining my logic" although it seems when I talk to developers that they prefer writing the code, even if it equals more work for them in the long run.

In terms of controls, I was referring to in cases where you are not re-inventing the wheel, where you're coding redundant logic such as API's or infrastructure, or security logic, I figured developers would want to make those processes easier and less cumbersome in order to focus on the other aspects of their applications.

This is an interesting situation.

although it seems when I talk to developers that they prefer writing the code, even if it equals more work for them in the long run.
    All good programmers would prefer to write the code simply because it gives them control, absolute control, over what the program is doing, how it is doing it, when it is doing it, and why it is doing it.

Aren't there generic parts of larger applications that developers would commonly use? Such as API's or a common workflow engine that you wouldn't want to have to code all the time?

I understand the developer wanting complete control or everything the application does, but it seems as though controls are being used throughout the developer community to save time and give developers more time to focus on other parts of their apps rather than the bare bones.

Yes there are, and over the years I've written those common things into DLL files or source Class modules that I include with all my projects.

Yes there are, and over the years I've written those common things into DLL files or source Class modules that I include with all my projects.
    Ahhh...now I understand that better. I'm assuming most developers would just do the same thing to save time?

Ahhh...now I understand that better. I'm assuming most developers would just do the same thing to save time?
    Yes....most of the places I've been contracted to had DLLs like that that I was told to use and shown how. For the places that didn't, I created some for them, and showed them how to use them.

Yes....most of the places I've been contracted to had DLLs like that that I was told to use and shown how. For the places that didn't, I created some for them, and showed them how to use them.
    For developers, do you think Platform's or any tools that make developing easier or take the coding out or even minimize the coding in application development are seen as negative advancement in application development? Or is it seen as a movement that has made things a lot easier and time saving?