32 vs. 64 and VB with .NET - help

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: 32 vs. 64 and VB with .NET - help

32 vs. 64 and VB with .NET - help

This has gotten messier than I wanted it to so I thought I would post my question on a forum to see what others in the community thought about it.

Here's the scoop:
    We have a few VB6 applications and a VBA application that work fine in the 32 bit environment. The problem lies with making them work on a 64 bit machine. The application are using a third party API which is only supported with .NET. So, I have had to convert some of the code to .NET to get it to work. This is done however the apps are still broken because the apps run completely as a 32 bit exe. I need the API calls in .NET to run as a separate process so that they work on 64 bit. I have googled my fingers off on the subject, but I have seen many say .NET remoting is the way to go. Is that right? Will that work or will I have to convert everything to .NET? Of course this is time critical, so a total conversion is not ideal but could be acceptable.

just to recap: I need a 32 bit VB6 exe to make API calls in .NET out of process to work on a 64 bit machine.

good times......thanks for listening. I'm sure I left out details so let me know if you need more information.

If you want to be 100% sure, then a total conversion is the way to go.
    I don't answer coding questions via PM or Email. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum section.
    Please use [Code]your code goes in here[/Code] tags when posting code.
    Before posting your question, did you look here?
    Got a question on Linux? Visit our Linux sister site.
    Modifications Required For VB6 Apps To Work On Vista

i knew you were going to say that

I totally agree with you too, but I'm just not sure we can go that route without outsourcing it. We'll figure something out.