Multiple SQL servers, One which is mobile...

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Multiple SQL servers, One which is mobile...

Hybrid View

Multiple SQL servers, One which is mobile...

Ok, My first time on this site and I'm loving it so far. I'm in a rut and I am somewhat new to SQL.
    My question is this.
    Is it possible to integrate a webpage so at a click of a button OR at least minimum search parameters you can pull SQL data from a remote server and import it to a local SQL server? If so what would you suggest be the easiest way to accomplish this(as far as programming languages)?
    I assume you can query the remote server, create a temporary database and then import that into the local server. Am I close?

I know you can query the server to see the data, but the latter half of my question is where I have no idea.

My other problem is that the remote SQL server is moved a lot. It's designed to travel on ships and travels from ship to ship. Therefore I have no idea how the server is linked or even if it is linked.
    I can't do a link to the remote server full time because not all of the data needs to be imported.
    It should only when there is a problem on one of the ships and they need the data to review it.

I can't give any more details as I don't have them yet. This is a project in which I am being brought on board due to the last guy could only build a webpage with broken links after a few weeks. Like I said, I'm fairly new to SQL but I do know some basics. Any guidance, common links or anything at all would be greatly appreciated.

I know this is somewhat generic and I apologize for that. I just don't know where else to look.
    Thanks in advance.

Welcome to DevX
    Quote Originally Posted by textony
    Is it possible to integrate a webpage so at a click of a button OR at least minimum search parameters you can pull SQL data from a remote server and import it to a local SQL server? If so what would you suggest be the easiest way to accomplish this(as far as programming languages)?
    Yes...you mention a web page. In what language was the web page created? (As in: Java? Classic ASP? ASP.NET? PHP? Something else entirely?) All languages can run an SQL SELECT query, so if you are doing it from a web page, you might as well use whatever language is being used for other things to execute your query.
    Quote Originally Posted by textony
    My other problem is that the remote SQL server is moved a lot. It's designed to travel on ships and travels from ship to ship. Therefore I have no idea how the server is linked or even if it is linked.
    This is a problem, but, as far as I'm concerned, it is not YOUR problem. If "they" expect you to connect to this SQL Server, then "they" need to give the details on the connection string you have to use. If "they" aren't providing you with the proper connection information, you can't connect. If you can't connect, you can't do anything else "they" want. If you can establish a good connection, then you are gold. But, this is going to take cooperation and communication between you and the "keepers" of your floating server.
    I don't answer coding questions via PM or Email. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum section.
    Please use [Code]your code goes in here[/Code] tags when posting code.
    Before posting your question, did you look here?
    Got a question on Linux? Visit our Linux sister site.
    Modifications Required For VB6 Apps To Work On Vista

Thanks for the info...

I have one other question still unanswered though. Is it possible to transfer the remote data to a local SQL server via a webpage? I thought the SELECT command was just for queries. How would I approach copying the new data into the local server? I guess what I am really asking here is this:

Should the webpage be a "middle man" between the servers? Or should it just be a front end to the local database and interface locally having the database pull the data from the traveling server remotely?

Sorry for the confusion...

I would take the approach of using the web page as a middle man, yes.

You are going to need to recode your connection to the remote server everytime you need to get to it anyway (because it moves around all over the place I'm taking the premise that its connection string will change. This is something you need to find out.)
    I don't answer coding questions via PM or Email. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum section.

Thanks Hack for your help.

I was just told that the web page or interface to be built, well they want it integrated into share point if possible. Any idea which language will be better for this? I used to be proficient in java, but this whole thing is new and I am eager to learn regardless. For right now, I'm looking to see which is easier to code when connecting and transferring SQL. I've coded some SQL before, but it was a straight SQL code, no webpages where involved.

I think I'm going to Google this some more looking for examples of simple remote connection scripts. Thanks again for your help. I truly appreciate it.

All of our sharepoint development is done with ASP.NET/ADO.NET

Importing data to a local sql server from a remote one

Hi there,

I guess this can be done in many ways, but the last time I had to work on this, which is more than a year ago, we went for ssis of sql server 2005.
    Basically, you have a dtsx file in your local computer. Connection strings are in a .config file provided by ssis package. We invoked this package with C# and ado.net, but I am sure it can be done with other technologies as well.
    A point to notice: we didn't use a web app, but a winforms app, so the ssis package, meaning .dtsx file, was local to this machine as well as the application. This machine had a local sql server.

I hope this shed some lights over your doubts.

Tonci Korsano