Pulling @variables from a SQL query/sproc into vb/vba vairable

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Pulling @variables from a SQL query/sproc into vb/vba vairable

Unhappy Pulling @variables from a SQL query/sproc into vb/vba vairable

Been struggling with this for a few hours now.

I have a SQL query which gives three vairables (however I can get it to push these vairables out in a 'Select @StatusOn, @StatusOff, @StatusTest' at the end. (this is stored as strSQL)

My code is as follows then I will go through what I have tried

Dim cnn As New ADODB.Connection
    Dim cmd As New ADODB.Command
    Dim prm As New ADODB.Parameter

With cnn
    .Open "DRIVER={SQL Server};SERVER=MYSERVER;DATABASE=MYDB;"
    End With

With cmd
    .ActiveConnection = cnn
    .CommandTimeout = 0
    .CommandType = adCmdText
    .CommandText = strSQL
    End With

cmd.Execute
    Set prm = cmd.CreateParameter("StatusOn", adDate, adParamOutput, , **@SatausOn**)

cmd.Parameters.Append prm

Set prm = cmd.CreateParameter("StatusOff", adDate, adParamOutput, , **@StatusOff**)

Set prm = cmd.CreateParameter("StatusTest", adDate, adParamOutput, , **@StatusTest**)
    Set cnn = Nothing

I have pushed the SQL and got it to dump it out then ran it manually and the SQL is bringing back values

I have tested the the parameters are being created and appended to the cmd howver I cant get the prm to be filled with the output value of the query.
    I dont know what to put in **@StatusOn**
    I could get the query to return a single record at a time, however this sits within a loop and dont want to hit the DB 3 times per loop

The query can either put out records as variables or in a single row with 3 fields.

I am at a loss with this, I know it has to be possible

Any help would be fantastic

Why you call cmd.Execute before to pass parameters?

You should be call next CreateParameter. Like:

Code:
    Set prm = cmd.CreateParameter("StatusOn", adDate, adParamOutput, , **@SatausOn**)
    and so on...
    then
    Code:
    cmd.Execute
    Also, you must call
    cnn.Close
    before to call
    Set cnn = Nothing

HTH

I have tried that, however it still wont populate, i need to assign the parameter with a value from the query (where **@StatusOn** is) I have even put Now() to pass the a date through and this works fine

You code is wrong:

This is correct:

Set prm = cmd.CreateParameter("@StatusOn", adDate, adParamOutput, , SatausOn)

Where SatausOn (or StatusOn?) is the value you pass to parameter.

HTH

Red face Params are fine

The param code is fine as have past non query vlaues into them and managed to pull a vlaue out of the object
    Have had some more time to look at this today.

It seems there is issue with my SQL (eventhough it works fine when I place it into Query Analyser. the rst is just not getting populated hence why methods such as rst.fields(0).value through an 'does not exist' error

To create the strSQL I am concatinationg allot so there is allot of strSQL = strSQL & "more sql"

The string is large enough to take the entire code as got it to dump it into a cell on the spreadsheet and then pasted and copied it in to query analyser and works fine.

So have broken it down and even added got it to make a temp table on the SQL server insert values, select the values and then drop table (resource heavy I know but good to test) I am doing these under different commands each at a time as follws

Code:
    With cmd
    .ActiveConnection = cnn
    .CommandTimeout = 0
    .CommandType = adCmdText
    .CommandText = strSETUP
    .Execute
    End With

With cmd
    .ActiveConnection = cnn
    .CommandTimeout = 0
    .CommandType = adCmdText
    .CommandText = strINSERT
    End With

With rst
    .Open strSELECT, cnn, adOpenStatic
    End With

With cmd
    .ActiveConnection = cnn
    .CommandTimeout = 0
    .CommandType = adCmdText
    .CommandText = strDROP
    End With
    Everything else tests out fine strSETUP is a create table string, strINSERT is the insert string and so on

the issue seems to be with running the bulk of the load which is in strINSERT as follows

Code:
    strINSERT = strINSERT & "Declare @ProviderID as int Declare @StartState as varchar(15) Declare @StartStateDate as datetime "
    strINSERT = strINSERT & "Declare @StartDate as datetime Declare @StatusStartDate as datetime Declare @StatusEndDate as datetime "
    strINSERT = strINSERT & "Declare @StatusLength as datetime Declare @StatusOFF as datetime Declare @StatusOn as datetime "
    strINSERT = strINSERT & "Declare @StatusTest as datetime Declare @Status as varchar(15) Declare @Count as int "
    strINSERT = strINSERT & " Set @Providerid = " & intProviderID & " Set @StartState = (select top 1 originalstatus from tbl_apfadminlog where datestamp >=GetDate()-31 and ProviderID = @Providerid order by datestamp asc)"
    strINSERT = strINSERT & " Set @StartStateDate = (select top 1 datestamp from tbl_apfadminlog where datestamp >=GetDate()-31 and ProviderID = @Providerid order by datestamp asc)"
    strINSERT = strINSERT & " Set @StartDate = GetDate()-31 Set @StartStateDate = (select top 1 datestamp from tbl_apfadminlog where datestamp >=GetDate()-31 and ProviderID = @Providerid order by datestamp asc )"
    strINSERT = strINSERT & " Set @Count = (select count(datestamp) from tbl_apfadminlog where DateStamp > @StartDate and ProviderID = @Providerid) Set @StatusOff = 0"
    strINSERT = strINSERT & " Set @StatusOn = 0 Set @StatusTest = 0 Set @StatusLength = @StartStateDate - @StartDate"
    strINSERT = strINSERT & " IF @StartState = 'On' Set @StatusOn = @StatusOn + @StatusLength Else IF @StartState = 'Off' Set @StatusOff = @StatusOff + @StatusLength Else"
    strINSERT = strINSERT & " IF @StartState = 'On Test Partner' Set @StatusTest = @StatusTest + @StatusLength Else IF @StartState = 'ISPREVIEW' Set @StatusTest = @StatusTest + @StatusLength"
    strINSERT = strINSERT & " While @Count > 0 Begin Set @Count = (select count(datestamp) from tbl_apfadminlog where DateStamp > @StartDate and ProviderID = @Providerid)"
    strINSERT = strINSERT & " Set @Status = (Select top 1 UpdatedStatus from tbl_apfadminlog where DateStamp > @StartDate  and ProviderID = @Providerid)"
    strINSERT = strINSERT & " Set @StatusStartDate = (Select top 1 datestamp from tbl_apfadminlog where DateStamp > @StartDate  and ProviderID = @Providerid)"
    strINSERT = strINSERT & " Set @StartDate = (Select top 1 datestamp from tbl_apfadminlog where DateStamp > @StartDate  and ProviderID = @Providerid)"
    strINSERT = strINSERT & " Set @StatusEndDate = (Select top 1 datestamp from tbl_apfadminlog where DateStamp > @StartDate  and ProviderID = @Providerid)"
    strINSERT = strINSERT & " IF @StatusEndDate is NULL Set @StatusEndDate = GetDate() Set @StatusLength = @StatusEndDate-@StatusStartDate"
    strINSERT = strINSERT & " IF @Status = 'On' Set @StatusOn = @StatusOn + @StatusLength Else IF @Status = 'Off' Set @StatusOff = @StatusOff + @StatusLength Else"
    strINSERT = strINSERT & " IF @Status = 'On Test Partner' Set @StatusTest = @StatusTest + @StatusLength Else IF @Status = 'ISPREVIEW' Set @StatusTest = @StatusTest + @StatusLength"
    strINSERT = strINSERT & " End INSERT INTO #Status Select @StatusOn,@StatusOff,@StatusTest "
    This is the same as the original code I started with however it didn't originaly have the insert as there wasn't a table (obviously)

for easier reading thats

Code:
    Declare @ProviderID as int 
    Declare @StartState as varchar(15) 
    Declare @StartStateDate as datetime 
    Declare @StartDate as datetime 
    Declare @StatusStartDate as datetime 
    Declare @StatusEndDate as datetime 
    Declare @StatusLength as datetime 
    Declare @StatusOFF as datetime 
    Declare @StatusOn as datetime 
    Declare @StatusTest as datetime 
    Declare @Status as varchar(15) 
    Declare @Count as int  Set @Providerid = 11 
    Set @StartState = (select top 1 originalstatus from tbl_apfadminlog where datestamp >=GetDate()-31 and ProviderID = @Providerid order by datestamp asc) 
    Set @StartStateDate = (select top 1 datestamp from tbl_apfadminlog where datestamp >=GetDate()-31 and ProviderID = @Providerid order by datestamp asc) 
    Set @StartDate = GetDate()-31 
    Set @StartStateDate = (select top 1 datestamp from tbl_apfadminlog where datestamp >=GetDate()-31 and ProviderID = @Providerid order by datestamp asc ) 
    Set @Count = (select count(datestamp) from tbl_apfadminlog where DateStamp > @StartDate and ProviderID = @Providerid) Set @StatusOff = 0 
    Set @StatusOn = 0 Set @StatusTest = 0 
    Set @StatusLength = @StartStateDate - @StartDate IF @StartState = 'On' Set @StatusOn = @StatusOn + @StatusLength Else IF @StartState = 'Off' 
    Set @StatusOff = @StatusOff + @StatusLength Else IF @StartState = 'On Test Partner' 
    Set @StatusTest = @StatusTest + @StatusLength Else IF @StartState = 'ISPREVIEW' 
    Set @StatusTest = @StatusTest + @StatusLength While @Count > 0 
    Begin 
    Set @Count = (select count(datestamp) from tbl_apfadminlog where DateStamp > @StartDate and ProviderID = @Providerid) 
    Set @Status = (Select top 1 UpdatedStatus from tbl_apfadminlog where DateStamp > @StartDate  and ProviderID = @Providerid) 
    Set @StatusStartDate = (Select top 1 datestamp from tbl_apfadminlog where DateStamp > @StartDate  and ProviderID = @Providerid) 
    Set @StartDate = (Select top 1 datestamp from tbl_apfadminlog where DateStamp > @StartDate  and ProviderID = @Providerid) 
    Set @StatusEndDate = (Select top 1 datestamp from tbl_apfadminlog where DateStamp > @StartDate  and ProviderID = @Providerid) IF @StatusEndDate is NULL 
    Set @StatusEndDate = GetDate() 
    Set @StatusLength = @StatusEndDate-@StatusStartDate IF @Status = 'On' Set @StatusOn = @StatusOn + @StatusLength Else IF @Status = 'Off' 
    Set @StatusOff = @StatusOff + @StatusLength Else IF @Status = 'On Test Partner' Set @StatusTest = @StatusTest + @StatusLength Else IF @Status = 'ISPREVIEW' Set @StatusTest = @StatusTest + @StatusLength End 
    Select @StatusOn,@StatusOff,@StatusTest
    The issue seems to be I just cant get this to transact using the .execute method. It just skips right over it even when I am not expecting any result from it. Unfortunatly I dont have the option of creating a sproc with this in a just calling that.

Is there a constraint on how big that command is, it doesn't lag when running it through Query analyser. (shouldnt be a problem)

Can I not execute this query through VBA (surely not)

This feels like a brick wall

Many Thanks in Advance

Getting closer to what the problem is I think