HTML project ideas please.

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: HTML project ideas please.

HTML project ideas please.

Hi, I'm just about to undertake a very large project for my daughters school and need some guidance please.
    Basically, the school want a website to be created which is easy enough but they also want a chosen pupil to create their own web page each week as an incentive for good behaviour. Alongside this, the teachers have to be able to update the weekly newsletter and homework. (the newsletter and homework will be hosted via plain old doc files). The problem is the children do not have web development skills.
    My idea was to somehow create a visual basic frontend which will allow the children to amend a html template but not the layout etc to preserve the layout of the website. IE allow them to edit the contents of a text box or image etc, then save the file automatically as .html
    Once the editing is complete, the program will upload the saved html file to the server.
    Any ideas as to where I should start looking or even what I am looking for. I'd prefer not to use database and asp if possible as the web hosting does not allow database writing on their server.
    Cheers,
    Pete

Found a long winded solution

I've figured out a way to write the thml, seems a bit long winded but it looks like it may work.
    Code so far is :

objFile.WriteLine(" <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC " & Chr(34) & "-//W3C//DTD" & " XHTML" & " 1.0" & " Transitional//EN" & Chr(34) & " " & Chr(34) & "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd" & ">")
    objFile.WriteLine(" <html xmlns=" & Chr(34) & "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" & Chr(34) & ">")
    objFile.WriteLine("<head>")
    objFile.WriteLine("<meta http-equiv=" & Chr(34) & "Content-Type" & Chr(34) & " content=" & Chr(34) & "text/html; charset=utf-8" & Chr(34) & " />")

This is filling up a text doc and saving it as html so that should work, I'll place a few text boxes and a button on a form, save the text box contents as a string and then where the text needs editing in the html file. IE

<p>This is the main content under the main content heading</p>

I'll replace that with objfile.writeline ("<p>") & Stringname & "</p").

I reckon that might work.

Anybody have any better ideas?

Just to let everyone know, my way of writing the html files worked perfectly. Now on to the next stage.