finding 2 of the largest numbers from an array... help me please!!!

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: finding 2 of the largest numbers from an array... help me please!!!

finding 2 of the largest numbers from an array... help me please!!!

my assignment is to use an array with different values and find the 2 largest numbers from it and cout it

heres my code so far

#include<iostream>
    #include<iomanip>

using namespace std;

int main()
    {
    const int N = 15;
    int scores[N] = {10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90,100,110,120,130,140,150};
    int largest=0;
    int largest2 = 0;
    int i;
    int temp;

for(i=0; i<N; i++)
    {
    if(scores[i]>scores[i+1])
    {
    largest = scores [i];
    temp = scores[i+1];
    scores[i+1] = scores[i];
    }

}

cout << "the largest number is " << largest << endl;

system("PAUSE");
    return 0;
    }

i was only able to do it for finding just the largest number but not the second largest number from the array

please help me !!!

thx in advance!!! :D

Don't use system("PAUSE");

I will do it find the largest from the array first then remove it and repeat to find another largest.

well im using bloodshed dev-C++ right now and its like required to do so or else the program will start and end right away

i was thinking the same way as u but i dont know how i should write the code exactly

any further help will be most appreciated!

system("pause") ; constitutes a vulnerability (an unsafe programming practice) which can be exploited by an attacker. a malicious attacker could replace the "pause" program on the machine with a program that does some kind of damage, and use it to cause trouble. spoofing a legitimate and harmless program is a common practice among malware.

in addition, it also has the drawback that the argument string is not portable across different implementations. your code may work on windows, but may do something completely different (or not work at all) on unix.

a portable and less risky way to get the same effect is:
    Code:
       std::cin >> std::ws ; // throw away white spaces remaining in the input buffer
       std::cin.get() ; // wait for the user to enter something
    to find the largest two values in an array, start by setting the two largest values to the first two elements of the array.
    Code:
    #include <iostream>
    #include <algorithm>

int main()
    {
        const int N = 15 ;
        int scores[N] = {10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90,100,110,120,130,140,150} ;

int largest = scores[0] ;
        int largest2 = scores[1] ;
        if( largest < largest2 ) std::swap( largest, largest2 ) ;
            // ...
    then loop through the elements in the array starting at position 2. if you find an element larger than the ones you have found so far, update the values accordingly.

Code:
        for( int i = 2 ; i<N ; ++i )
        {
            if( scores[i] > largest )
            {
                largest2 = largest ;
                largest = scores[i] ;
            }
            else if( scores[i] > largest2 ) largest2 = scores[i] ;
        }
    Last edited by vijayan; 05-14-2009 at 03:59 AM.

i figured it out last night

ur code is a lot more simpler than mine tho

thanks a lot!!!

We are all doomed, since visual studio invokes the (potentially hijacked) pause command when you test your app from inside it (along with other commandline programs that are part of the suite, all of which could be trojans) :P

Windows will not let you modify these files easily, the moment you do, it replaces them back with the original, not sure how hard it is to get past this; knowing microsoft, its probably not hard. Its a valid concern, but since its being invoked already, putting it in a program is no more of a risk than the developer already had. Clearly, leave it out of production code...

Quote Originally Posted by jonnin View Post
    We are all doomed, since visual studio invokes the (potentially hijacked) pause command when you test your app from inside it (along with other commandline programs that are part of the suite, all of which could be trojans) :P

Windows will not let you modify these files easily, the moment you do, it replaces them back with the original, not sure how hard it is to get past this; knowing microsoft, its probably not hard. Its a valid concern, but since its being invoked already, putting it in a program is no more of a risk than the developer already had. Clearly, leave it out of production code...
    right now im using bloodshed dev compiler and it pretty much requires the pause thing or else itll run and immediately turn off

i also have j-grasp but im not that comfortable with it i guess

system( argument_string ) hands argument_string to the command interpreter. the calling process waits for the shell to finish executing the command.

on windows, if the argument string does not contain a full path, windows searches for the executable first in the directory which forms the startup directory of the process (from which the program loaded) and then the current directory for the process. system directories are searched only later. see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682425.aspx

so the claim that "windows will not let you modify system files easily and therefore you are protected" is bogus; an attacker does not need to modify any system file - just place an executable file with the same name in the current directory.

sure, system("PAUSE") ; will pause a program before it exits. and this pause is very useful when you are in an IDE that won't wait when the program you are testing is finished - the window closes taking all the output with it. but
    a. it is not portable (eg. works on windows, but not on linux).
    b. it has a vulnerability which could be exploited.
    c. if you are going to be a professional programmer, it's a bad habit that you'll have to break eventually anyway.

there is a simple alternative available, which is both portable (uses only facilities provided by the standard C++ library and therefore works identically on every system) and safe. just replace system( "PAUSE" ) ; with
    Code:
    note 1: the basic issue is not with "pause" in particular, it is with the call to the system() function in general. as a programmer, one has to be pretty careful in using it.
    system( "abcd" ) ; is bad.
    system( "/usr/local/bin/abcd.exe" ) ; is much better.

note 2: on current versions of windows, PAUSE is an intrinsic in cmd.exe, and the vulnerability is mitigated to a large extent. even so, why use a non-portable construct at all?
    Last edited by vijayan; 05-15-2009 at 04:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vijayan View Post
    system( argument_string ) hands argument_string to the command interpreter. the calling process waits for the shell to finish executing the command.

on windows, if the argument string does not contain a full path, windows searches for the executable first in the directory which forms the startup directory of the process (from which the program loaded) and then the current directory for the process. system directories are searched only later. see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682425.aspx

so the claim that "windows will not let you modify system files easily and therefore you are protected" is bogus; an attacker does not need to modify any system file - just place an executable file with the same name in the current directory.

sure, system("PAUSE") ; will pause a program before it exits. and this pause is very useful when you are in an IDE that won't wait when the program you are testing is finished - the window closes taking all the output with it. but
    a. it is not portable (eg. works on windows, but not on linux).
    b. it has a vulnerability which could be exploited.
    c. if you are going to be a professional programmer, it's a bad habit that you'll have to break eventually anyway.

there is a simple alternative available, which is both portable (uses only facilities provided by the standard C++ library and therefore works identically on every system) and safe. just replace system( "PAUSE" ) ; with
    Code:
    note 1: the basic issue is not with "pause" in particular, it is with the call to the system() function in general. as a programmer, one has to be pretty careful in using it.
    system( "abcd" ) ; is bad.
    system( "/usr/local/bin/abcd.exe" ) ; is much better.

note 2: on current versions of windows, PAUSE is an intrinsic in cmd.exe, and the vulnerability is mitigated to a large extent. even so, why use a non-portable construct at all?
    cool good to know

my brother did tell me back then to use the pause because im a beginner once i get better he did say that i wont use it much or at all