Windows 7 Compatibility

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Windows 7 Compatibility

Question Windows 7 Compatibility

Has anyone tested Windows 7 for compatibility with VB6 and applications developed in VB6? I remember some minor compatibility issues with Vista, just wondering about the new OS.
    Brian

Same of Vista.
    Then... No problems!

VB6 is supported on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008, too.

As explained in this article:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx

VB6 runtime will ship and will be supported in Windows 7 for the lifetime of the OS. Developers can think of the support story for Vista being the same as it is for Windows 7. However there are no plans to include VB6 runtime in future versions of Windows beyond Windows 7.

I firmly believe that you should start seriously thinking about rewriting your VB6 apps in VB.NET
    I don't answer coding questions via PM or Email. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum section.
    Please use [Code]your code goes in here[/Code] tags when posting code.
    Before posting your question, did you look here?
    Got a question on Linux? Visit our Linux sister site.
    Modifications Required For VB6 Apps To Work On Vista

Hack,

Sorry if this has been covered before, but are there any good utilities for picking up what changes are required in a vb6 project to convert to .net? (You are starting to get me concerned :-)

Greg

There may be, but I've never used any....I've always simply rewritten the projects and assigned someone else the task of doing the rewrite.
    I don't answer coding questions via PM or Email. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum section.

Win7/VB6/64bit OS/32bit app.

Running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - VB6, i have both the 32bit ODBC 3.51 Driver and the 64bit 5.1 driver, im trying to use the 32 bit version i need to make sure itll work for anyone, and this error keeps coming up.

I have contacted my datacenter and had the access hosts '%' added for all the users on all the databases.. Any ideas>?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Converting to VB.NET is easier said than done. The application that I developed for my small consulting practice, has between 150,000 to 200,000 lines of code and perhaps $3,000 of 3rd-Party tools -- a very expensive and time-consuming proposition.
    Brian

Not trying to bump this thread, just wanted to touch base on this issue, I have been using VB6 on Windows 7 just fine (32-bit), however after re-reading this thread, especially the post from "Hack", I am starting to seriously consider moving to .net . I've been playing around with the express versions of VB.net however I notice the majority of my code is going to need to be replaced. The one thing I am seriously considering this for is the fact that .net seems to be able to handle multiple database connections at once without the program pausing during the data transmission where VB6 likes to sit there until its completely downloaded. If I can't find a way to clean up the "pauses" in vb6, I guess I will have no choice but to take that leap!

Interesting to see my old post show up again. I acquired a new laptop with W7 Pro and first installed my application and it worked just great -- it even looked like a W7 application. Next I installed VB6 and it almost worked but had some slight difficulty selecting multimple controls. I then installed VB6 under the Win XP Mode that runs under the Windows Virtual PC and it works just great! I found no difference between running VB6 under my old XP Pro machine and the new Win 7 (under XP Mode). In summary, your applications should install and work okay under the natural Windows 7 (my application loads and works just find under Windows 7 Starter on my netbook) OS and VB6 should work just fine under XP mode (only available under W7 Pro or greater). The only thing I had to do in my application is re-layout my controls to accommodate the widescreen.

Hope this helps. You have some time before you need to convert as Windows 7 should be around for some time.
    Last edited by bkh_vb1; 02-21-2011 at 02:01 PM.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by vchatlive View Post
    If I can't find a way to clean up the "pauses" in vb6, I guess I will have no choice but to take that leap!
    Then just go ahead and take the leap. VB6 does not multitask well; it is 2011; time to move on.