DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Unable to make the session state request

Unable to make the session state request

Annoyed me to death and could not figure out , I am hoping that someone might have experienced similar problem

Here is the Error we get randomly
    Exception: System.Web.HttpException

Message: Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same. If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aspnet_state\Parameters\AllowRemoteCo nnection.

We've been running the ASP.NET State Server service on the same server as the CHECM application. We also don't believe the AllowRemoteConnection parameter in the registry has ever been set to a value other than zero. Just changed to 1 allow AllowRemoteConnection, but this did not resolve the issue.

We've also been searching MS KB and other internet resources for possible solutions but have not found anything specific to this error code. There are similar errors reported and one possible resolution was to add the stateNetworkTimeout setting to the application web.config file. Default is 10 seconds and it could be bumped up to as much as 20 seconds. However it did not help. Finally, Based on Microsoft KB Article 896600, the cause of the error appears to be related to session requests made to the ASP.NET State Server. Nothing seems to be helping.

Please Help

The person in this thread solved the problem by adding the ASPNET user to the Local Administrators group. I don't recommend doing that in production, but if that solves the problem, you're looking at a permissions issue; perhaps you can solve it by granting the ASPNET user permission to the necessary directory or registry key. You might try using FileMon or RegMon from sysinternals.com to see what resources the state service is unable to access.
    Phil Weber
    http://www.philweber.com

Please post questions to the forums, where others may benefit.
    I do not offer free assistance by e-mail. Thank you!

Thank you Phil Weber, will try that and will let you know!!

"Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started..." verify this service in service console is started.

Smile worked

I ran into this problem and it seems to be solved.

What I think caused the error in the first place is I have two sites running same web application.
    I copied the site from Machine A and pasted it over the site on Machine B... in that process the permission for the ASPNET user on the site on Machine B got lost and it produced an error.

To solve it I selected the root folder for the site on Machine B and applied permission for ASPNET user on that folder and all subfolders.

Windown Server 2003 .Net framework v2.0.50727

It was seen that by default the "ASP .Net State Service" is stopped in Windows server 2003 and the startup type is manual. Please go to:

Control Panel-Administrative tools-Services then double click the Service "ASP .Net State Service" and make the startup type as Automatic then start the service.

I beleive all should be fine after that, please look at the attached images too.

Hope this helps

Thanks & Regards
    -Shrimant Patel-
    -Harith Patel-

>>Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same. If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\aspnet_state\Parameters\AllowRemoteConnection
    Attached Images Attached Images

Solved??

InSeeyked, were you ever able to solve this issue?

We're running into the same thing. Recently the State Service has started logging the following Warnings and Errors. Sometimes the warning is logged first, then the error, or vice versa. It tends to log a couple of these between 12pm and 1pm but doesn't necessarily do so every day.

Warning:

Event code: 3009
    Event message: Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Details: last phase='Reading response from the state server', error

Process information:
    Process ID: 3332
    Process name: w3wp.exe
    Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:

Exception type: HttpException
    Exception message: Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same. If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aspnet_state\Parameters\AllowRemoteCo nnection. If the server is on the local machine, and if the before mentioned registry value does not exist or is set to 0, then the state server connection string must use either 'localhost' or '127.0.0.1' as the server name.

Error:

The state server has closed an expired TCP/IP connection. The IP address of the client is 127.0.0.1. The expired Read operation began at 04/13/2009 12:39:15.

The State Service is running on the Web Server, and the relevant section of the web.config file looks like this:

<sessionState mode="StateServer" timeout="20" stateConnectionString="tcpip=localhost:42424" />

Google brings up this kb article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308097 however, that article is for ASP.Net 1.0 and 1.1, and we are using 2.0. And more importantly, that article says the error may be caused by the server being under stress. The thing is, it threw the error yesterday (Sunday 4/12), when almost no one is on the site. Also, using perfmon, we saw that it threw the error at a time when the number of users in the system was declining....so I don't think it's because the server was under stress.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Our site's been up for 4 months, and it only started doing this in the last week or so. It will log a couple of these errors and warnings in the event log but seems to be self-healing as users are still able to get to the site, and it will go a day or two more before logging these errors and warnings again.

Any Luck?

Hey redwing19,

Were you able to solve this issue? I'm currently running in to this and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks