dcsimg

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: closing properly

closing properly

I have a simple VB6 application with 1 form and I open several recordsets through an ADODB connection to an Access database and fill in several datagrids. So far, I am not allowing updates to the database (view only), but I may add some updating abilities.

I am wondering what the proper way to close this type of application is. I am currently just doing an Unload Form in the Exit button. Is that all I need to do?

Rick

The proper way would be to close any remaining recordset objects, command objects, and connections in the unload event. Also, in this event you would destroy, remove, close anything else you instantiated.

Good Luck

VB6 / 5 whatever, can be a bugger of a thing for when it comes to terminating. Even some of the best programmers scream out "memory leaks, memory leaks" many moons after they believed that their project was done and dusted. This is particularly so the case when YOU'RE using an infinite loop in your program.

My best advice is the following:
    Code:
    Private Sub Form_Unload(Cancel As Integer)
    '------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ' Purpose: Terminate application
    '------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Set frmGUI = Nothing

Dim i As Long

For i = Forms.Count - 1 To 0 Step -1
          Unload Forms(i)
       Next

End
    End Sub
    Set your dB to nothing and all other class instances as well. If YOU'RE using APIs, delete all DCs (device contexts) , after which throw in an END. Nothing wrong with END if you have cleaned up properly. If you haven't, Windows will do it for you eventually. Easy greasy.

Using the End statement is the fastest way in which to create memory leaks, even if you think you have cleaned everything up!!!

Yeah it is debatable.

There is good argument on both sides.

Try getting out of a complex infinite loop without it though. Fairly quirky.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have also seen some code that sets the connection and the recordset = nothing.
    Is that necessary?

Yes, if you create an object, control, reference, or whatever, you should dispose of all of these things. Other languages, make you dispose of these things but the vb runtime can take care of some of the management of these things for you but ask yourself this. Do you think of everything? Do you think the designers of VB thought of everything? So yeah! It's best if you do all this yourself.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by vb5prgrmr View Post
    Yes, if you create an object, control, reference, or whatever, you should dispose of all of these things. Other languages, make you dispose of these things but the vb runtime can take care of some of the management of these things for you but ask yourself this. Do you think of everything? Do you think the designers of VB thought of everything? So yeah! It's best if you do all this yourself.
    You sound just like Mister_e

Incidentally, why don't you try and get Spatial Matrix to unload properly without using an END

What a pain in the rear.