Agile

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Agile

Agile

Hi,
    This is my first experience building web applications.
    I read the agile guide in this site, but I have some doubts about it, and I hope that someone could help me to solve it.
    I can't stand how it's possible to build an application avoiding the designing of it, avoiding the requirement gathering and ignoring all the problems that you could meet in the future as the interaction between modules.
    For example how it's possible to design a database without seeing the entire design project ?!?

I know that for someone it could be a silly question, but I really don't understand some principles behind the agile method.

Tnx
    giudf

As a beginner in agile methods, one thing you could do is to build the website's basics. Start building the features common to most websites. For example: user login and user privileges. These features only need little design and planning.

Agile methods still needs design, but it does not focus on it. Limit design and planning to a minimum.

For experienced practitioners, they may even do agile without even giving attention to design. They can do this because they may have already built another website with the same structure, in that case they just reuse the design for their earlier websites. But, they still did go through the designing and planning.

Another thing experienced practitioners use are web application frameworks. These frameworks automatically build the basic setup of a website. Most of the time the setup includes common features of websites (user login and privileges). Here's an example of a web application framework that is open source, click here.

Well, that's all I can tell you about agile. Hope it helps.