VBA Hide or Disable Mouse Pointer

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: VBA Hide or Disable Mouse Pointer

VBA Hide or Disable Mouse Pointer

Hi Can Anyone help

Is it possible to Hide or disable the mouse Pointer function while executing VBA code in Excel, preventing users opening other workbooks or applications.

Best Regards

SaltKev

' hide the mouse
    ShowCursor False

' do whatever you need to do
    ' ....

' make the cursor visible again
    ShowCursor True

Sorry, forgot this.

Private Declare Function ShowCursor Lib "user32" (ByVal bShow As Long) As Long

Quote Originally Posted by saltkev View Post
    Is it possible to Hide or disable the mouse Pointer function while executing VBA code in Excel, preventing users opening other workbooks or applications.
    Why do you want to do this?

Hiding the cursor is only going to hide it for that one worksheet.

If they start another instance of Excel, they can do whatever they want so I don't see what this is buying you.

That is number one...number two, of you hide their cursor, they would not be able to do anything in your worksheet, so what would be the point of having your worksheet open? (To say nothing of how annoying it would be to have the cursor hidden)
    I don't answer coding questions via PM or Email. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum section.
    Please use [Code]your code goes in here[/Code] tags when posting code.
    Before posting your question, did you look here?
    Got a question on Linux? Visit our Linux sister site.
    Modifications Required For VB6 Apps To Work On Vista

Why

Dear Hack

In my question I state, amongst other things, other applications! I suppose you may need a little poetic license to describe another instance of excel as other applications. Maybe on this occasion the answer is incorrect for the question.

The reason I wish to either hide or disable the cursor, is, I require the "operator" keyboard attendant to remain focused while vba code is running and then hand back control & cursor after completion. Perhaps hiding or disabling the cursor is not the best way to achieve this end. Your constructive comments are invited.

Best regards

Kev

In that case, why just don't you set the hourglass (busy) cursor, like this:

Screen.MousePointer = vbHourglass
    ''' your code here
    Screen.MousePointer = vbDefault
    "There are two ways to write error-free programs. Only the third one works."
    Unknown

For Excel VBA, it would be
    Code:
    Application.Cursor = xlWait 'HourGlass
    Application.Cursor = xlDefault 'Back to normal
    I don't answer coding questions via PM or Email. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum section.
    Please use [Code]your code goes in here[/Code] tags when posting code.
    Before posting your question, did you look here?
    Got a question on Linux? Visit our Linux sister site.
    Modifications Required For VB6 Apps To Work On Vista

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    For Excel VBA, it would be ...
    oops... thanks!
    "There are two ways to write error-free programs. Only the third one works."
    Unknown

@Hack - believe me, this is a very useful piece of code. I've looked for a solution to this a number of times (sporadically, not desparately), and only on my last search did I find this.

There are actually very good and valid reasons for doing this rather than changing the cursor shown.

For instance - when changing a lot of cell values and formats, the advice to turn off ScreenUpdating is well-known and has proven benefit. However what ScreenUpdating doesn't stop is Excel's context-sensitive pointer changing, and even setting it to a fixed value doesn't stop it redrawing. So, with ScreenUpdating set to False, if you manipulate or create a lot of screen objects (Autoshapes, Comments, etc.) then the process is very much slowed down (and also presents the user with a glitchy, messy looking visual feedback) by the mouse pointer continually changing between 'arrow only' and 'arrow with hourglass'. Even with a fixed cursor, it still flickers on/off wildly if a lot is happening. This is a type of Screen Updating that the ScreenUpdating property doesn't touch.

For months I have figured that hiding the pointer during updates would speed up the process much more than turning ScreenUpdating off does. Having tried it, I was proved right, and has sped up my main project by about 3 times.

There is another payoff too. My project uses a lot of Event procedures, and any process that takes a long time uses DoEvents a lot to allow progress bars (I even have a spinning progress 'whirly arrow' which appears if entries from a database are taking a while to appear) presents the opportunity for an event to be triggered by the user clicking somewhere where they shouldn't while the update is going on. Setting EnableEvents to False is no good because I still want non-click-invoked Events to occur, but I don't want any click-invoked events to occur. Setting Application.Interaction to False is too risky because if an error ever occurs before it's set back to True again at the end of the procedure you're stuffed. But with hidePointer, the problem is solved - no rogue events can be triggered, and if an error occurs it's still possible to interact (albeit a little blindly) enough to get back to the VBE and see what's gone wrong (and doing a showPointer in the process). Of course, I set an OnTime to showPointer as part of my hidePointer routine.

Another thing hiding the pointer stops is the dreaded 'focus stealing' phenomenon during which, when a user starts a process in Excel, but decides to check their Outlook while Excel is busy, then what Excel tends to do (and all Windows apps do this to some extent - MS Office is the worst though) is 'steal focus' - i.e. Windows brings the Excel window 'back to top' even though it's too busy to interact, and takes the user away from the app that IS responding, back to an app that it then thinks is 'Not Responding' (when it is, but it's just busy). Also, after a 'focus steal', any code that momentarily sets ScreenUpdating to True, and then back to False again to force a re-draw, doesn't happen. Also, all events seem to stop after that too. This often leads a user to believe they have to End Task on Excel when all they needed to do was wait a few more seconds. Hiding the mouse pointer stops all that.