Hacker Security ...

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Hacker Security ...

Question Hacker Security ...

Hello all,

VB6Pro/WinXP. I read everyday about this and that being hacked ... Question, if I put a simple server app online (at all times) to run a private game program for a group of friends, where they connect only through secure TCP connections, and all it does is exchange simple strings of text back and forth between client and server, what type of simple hacker threats from strangers would I need to worry about (short of 'denial of service' on the server IP)?

Can they mess with me even if I'm only exchanging text strings (like a chat program)?

Any heads up info appreciated.

Thanks!

Shannon

It depends what you do with the text strings. For example, if you include them in database queries, you may be vulnerable to SQL injection. If you display them in the user's Web browser, you may be vulnerable to cross-site scripting.
    Phil Weber
    http://www.philweber.com

Please post questions to the forums, where others may benefit.
    I do not offer free assistance by e-mail. Thank you!

Wink

Thanks, Phil, for your response. I see what you're saying, that the vulnerabilities in associated software (if used) are a threat. In my particular case, I'm not planning on using anything other than simple text strings in my VB6 App, directly exchanged through TCP connections.

I was hoping the incredibly intelligent and experienced folks that normally post here could at least give some one-line constructive advice on what to do and not to do, what to watch out for, what to keep in mind, what to research, things I might need to consider, etc .. Perhaps I am one of the last dinosaurs who still enjoys VB6. Or, maybe I'm the only one eve in this room. Heeeeellllllooooooooo ... lol

Can you tell me if I need to be worried about any specific ASC() or CHR() characters that might somehow be used to attack my VB app? If that is even possible? Or, is there any reason I need to be concerned about vulnerabilities (to hackers) in sockets?

I hate to have to take an Internet course in hacking just to gain some general info.

Thanks very much for your help!

Shannon