[Forward Engineering]
- The function is to generate modeling composition constructed to actual DBMS (DDL use)
When I used other modeling tools, there were unnecessary DDL lines created therefore I had to organize those..
How about eXERD? Letís start to figure out.

1. Basic model view is explained with examples in the explanation of convenient function.

- The one of strengths of eXERD is to offer simultaneous view of logical and physical models.
(Other modeling tools donít offer the synchronization of logical and physical models. This function is very convenient function.)

2. In a pull-down menu, eXERD -> Forward Engineering

3. On Forward Engineering, you could see generating DDL for each contents.
Itís convenient to preview each DDL by each contents in real time.
After you check the categories as like DB, table, constraint, index etc, you could generate DDL by categories.
But itís disappointing not to modify SIZE, route in preview mode.

4. If youíve done with setting of generating DDL, there is a message shown to select the model for forwarding.
After you select the table to generate, there would be DDL for selected categories.
(In my opinion, previewing is better to be shown with DDL on one page to use more efficient.)

5. After selecting categories, you should input the information of DB connection finally.
eXERD accesses DB with JDBC driver.
For operating this function, users have to install JDBC driver additionally.
(Refer to ďHelpĒ about MSSQL for window authentication, you should execute eXERD in administrator mode..)

6. After finishing connection, you could check which DDL is operated or if DDL gets errors on console menu of eXERD.
(Also, you could check DB tables which are already generated.)
 After finishing DB forwarding, when you change database area of DB connection information to forward new DB, DDL is generated by DB already input and used for previous DB forwarding
I want it to change setting flexibly.

[Reverse Engineering]
- Reverse Engineering is creating model view using already constructed DB, contrary to Forward Engineering
This function is to generate tables, reverse-engineering data type, relations, constraint of the table.
There are 4 tables generated for test. There is no condition of relations between tables. After reversing, I generated FK into a test table to check if it includes constraint.
1. In a pull-down menu, eXERD -> Reverse Engineering
As reverse engineering, it access to DB with JDBC driver as same as forwarding engineering.
It could connect with SQL and Oracle as target DBMS
Because there are users of lower version than SQL2000 until now, it would be better to support compatibility for lower version and other DBMS.

 The screen of inputting DB connection information
2. Finishing DB connection, there is UI shown as like the screen below.
Processing time of DB of 30 tables is different from processing time of test DB a little,
I donít think itís slower than other modeling tools.

3. After DB analysis, eXERD could divide diagrams into each schema and relations.
As a test, I generated diagrams by schema as default selection.

4. This is the final screen of completing reversing.
As test DB, I didnít add the extra contents as like domain, relations to tables. Also, I generated FK to FK_TEST_TABLE for checking if relations are maintained
Each properties and data type is generated as well as existing properties of DB.
(After reversing, thanks to auto alignment, relations between tables are arranged clean.)

Working forward and reverse engineering, I could realize that these functions of eXERD is easier and simpler than other tools.
The great strength is to check scripts by previewer immediately as forward engineering.
Reverse engineering is easy process and after reversing, auto alignment makes the tables which aligned complicatedly arranged clean
In my opinion, if you could handle DDL freely in DBMS and use modeling tools without any problems, reverse and forward engineering is convenient function for you. However, if youíre not professional and couldnít know how to use modeling tools and DDL, you should do what these functions offers on yourself.

[Reference]
eXERD web site
http://www.exerd.com/
eXERD guide online
http://exerd.com:8081/help/index.jsp...2Fnewfile.html

Trial version of eXERD : http://www.softpedia.com/get/Program...es/eXERD.shtml