OLE Insertable Object


DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: OLE Insertable Object

  1. #1
    Tsun Mok Guest

    OLE Insertable Object


    This is a long old question I found no
    answer for 2 years.
    How do I make my custom ActiveX control
    shows up in the list of Object Type,
    in Insert Object dialog in the VB OLE control.

    Thanks

    Share on Google+

  2. #2
    Dan Appleman Guest

    Re: OLE Insertable Object

    Well, first of all, I'm not sure the ActiveX control specification
    allows them to be insertable objects in that manner.
    Remember, ActiveX controls must, by definition, run in-process. This may
    preclude them from being insertable.
    If it is possible, then it would be a matter of setting some of the OLE
    styles published by the control. It's been a long
    time since I've looked at this, so I'd have to research it further to
    figure out which style bits needed to be set. Then,
    I'd probably need to extend SpyWorks to override the necessary interface
    so that a VB control could set those style bits.

    In other words - this is not a trivial endeavor.

    Dan


    Tsun Mok wrote:

    > This is a long old question I found no
    > answer for 2 years.
    > How do I make my custom ActiveX control
    > shows up in the list of Object Type,
    > in Insert Object dialog in the VB OLE control.
    >
    > Thanks


    Share on Google+

  3. #3
    Tsun Mok Guest

    Re: OLE Insertable Object


    Dan,

    After I installed a 3rd party ActiveX
    Control, they showed up in the Insert Object
    list. I took a look at the Window Registry,
    they have an attribute set to "Insertable"
    I am wondering whether I could do the same
    by setting the attribute to "Insertable".
    Sounds like it is not as easy as I thought.


    Thanks




    Dan Appleman <dan@desaware.com> wrote:
    >Well, first of all, I'm not sure the ActiveX control specification
    >allows them to be insertable objects in that manner.
    >Remember, ActiveX controls must, by definition, run in-process. This may
    >preclude them from being insertable.
    >If it is possible, then it would be a matter of setting some of the OLE
    >styles published by the control. It's been a long
    >time since I've looked at this, so I'd have to research it further to
    >figure out which style bits needed to be set. Then,
    >I'd probably need to extend SpyWorks to override the necessary interface
    >so that a VB control could set those style bits.
    >
    >In other words - this is not a trivial endeavor.
    >
    >Dan
    >
    >
    >Tsun Mok wrote:
    >
    >> This is a long old question I found no
    >> answer for 2 years.
    >> How do I make my custom ActiveX control
    >> shows up in the list of Object Type,
    >> in Insert Object dialog in the VB OLE control.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >


    Share on Google+

  4. #4
    Dan Appleman Guest

    Re: OLE Insertable Object

    Give it a try. Whether the control works or not when inserted is another
    issue:-)

    Dan


    Tsun Mok wrote:

    > Dan,
    >
    > After I installed a 3rd party ActiveX
    > Control, they showed up in the Insert Object
    > list. I took a look at the Window Registry,
    > they have an attribute set to "Insertable"
    > I am wondering whether I could do the same
    > by setting the attribute to "Insertable".
    > Sounds like it is not as easy as I thought.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dan Appleman <dan@desaware.com> wrote:
    > >Well, first of all, I'm not sure the ActiveX control specification
    > >allows them to be insertable objects in that manner.
    > >Remember, ActiveX controls must, by definition, run in-process. This may
    > >preclude them from being insertable.
    > >If it is possible, then it would be a matter of setting some of the OLE
    > >styles published by the control. It's been a long
    > >time since I've looked at this, so I'd have to research it further to
    > >figure out which style bits needed to be set. Then,
    > >I'd probably need to extend SpyWorks to override the necessary interface
    > >so that a VB control could set those style bits.
    > >
    > >In other words - this is not a trivial endeavor.
    > >
    > >Dan
    > >
    > >
    > >Tsun Mok wrote:
    > >
    > >> This is a long old question I found no
    > >> answer for 2 years.
    > >> How do I make my custom ActiveX control
    > >> shows up in the list of Object Type,
    > >> in Insert Object dialog in the VB OLE control.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks

    > >


    Share on Google+

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-11-2002, 02:00 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-11-2002, 11:06 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2002, 11:31 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2001, 07:25 AM
  5. Re: COM object Password Security
    By Tom Shreve in forum Enterprise
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2000, 09:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center
 
 
FAQ
Latest Articles
Java
.NET
XML
Database
Enterprise
Questions? Contact us.
C++
Web Development
Wireless
Latest Tips
Open Source


   Development Centers

   -- Android Development Center
   -- Cloud Development Project Center
   -- HTML5 Development Center
   -- Windows Mobile Development Center