Setting up the J2EE 1.3 SDK with Windows 2000
I recently purchased The J2EE tutorial in order to learn and start developing
as part of a university project that I need to finish urgently. Although
I have configured the J2SE 1.3 within Win '98,I hadn't configured the J2SE
1.3 or the J2EE 1.3 within Win 2000. I made an attempt to do this yesterday
and got absolutely nowhere. I followed the instructions which I saw on the
CD with the book, but I really need some STEP by STEP guidlines on how to
I'll explain what I did: I created two folders called J2SE and J2EE respectively
and stored them on my C: drive.
Then I extracted the J2SE 1.3 SDK and the J2EE 1.3 SDK from the CD into the
corresponding folders and unpacked them from these folders.
For the J2SE 1.3 SDK: I went to ENVIROMENTAL VARIABLES and did the following:
1) I modified the PATH variable by adding: ;C:\jdk1.3.1\bin to the end
of the contents already in the path variable.
2) I created a CLASSPATH varable because there wasn't one, and I added:
C:\jdk1.3.1\lib\tools.jar as the value of this variable.
Now, for the J2EE 1.3 SDK: I did the following:
1) I created a JAVA_HOME variable and set the value to be: C:\j2sdkee1.3
and then cliked OK.
2) I then created a variable called J2EE_HOME and set the value of this to
be: C:\j2eesdk1.3 and then cliked on OK.
3) I then added the following to the end of the PATH variable: %J2EE_HOME%\bin
4) I then added the J2EE JAR files to the end of the CLASSPATH variables
.;%J2EE_HOME%\lib\j2ee.jar;%J2EE_HOME%\lib\locale to the end of the
contents in the CLASSPATH
5) Now, after doing this I tested the system by typing: j2ee -verbose
but it didn't work.
I also typed a normal Java program into a text editor, that involved a few
classes, but that didn't work either. I knew that the program was actually
correct, so this meant that the settings for the J2SE 1.3.1 SDK were also
As I mensioned above, I really need STEP BY STEP instructions of how to set
up the J2SE 1.3.1 SDK and the J2EE 1.3 SDK for Windows 2000. Could you please
send these to me, as this is highly important at this time.
I really appreaciate anyone's help in this issue.
-- Android Development Center
-- Cloud Development Project Center
-- HTML5 Development Center
-- Windows Mobile Development Center