JSP & Servlets vs. App Server


DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: JSP & Servlets vs. App Server

  1. #1
    MikeW Guest

    JSP & Servlets vs. App Server


    I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on using JSP & Servlets or an App
    Server, like Enhydra? Does anyone see advantages or disadvantages to either
    approach?

    Thanks,

    MikeW

  2. #2
    Jay Guest

    Re: JSP & Servlets vs. App Server


    One advantage to using an appserver, is that it will handle and db connection
    pooling that you app may require. We recently went from NetDynamics to using
    Servlets and JSP in a system that was database driven. We have had many hurdles
    to overcome when it came to creating a resource efficient method of db connection
    pooling.
    The advantage to using Servlets and JSP is that you are not tied to a particular
    Appserver. The portability of moving your servlets and jsps from say JRUN
    to iPlanet servlet engine shouldn't require any code changes.

    "MikeW" <MikeW@nospamplease.com> wrote:
    >
    >I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on using JSP & Servlets or an

    App
    >Server, like Enhydra? Does anyone see advantages or disadvantages to either
    >approach?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >MikeW



  3. #3
    MikeW Guest

    Re: JSP & Servlets vs. App Server


    Jay,

    Thanks for the input. I think an app server is the way I'll go. At this point
    I really the Apple WebObject's capabilities. Also, the next rev, due out
    late this year, will be pure Java.


    MikeW

    "Jay" <jaymayers@juno.com> wrote:
    >
    >One advantage to using an appserver, is that it will handle and db connection
    >pooling that you app may require. We recently went from NetDynamics to using
    >Servlets and JSP in a system that was database driven. We have had many

    hurdles
    >to overcome when it came to creating a resource efficient method of db connection
    >pooling.
    >The advantage to using Servlets and JSP is that you are not tied to a particular
    >Appserver. The portability of moving your servlets and jsps from say JRUN
    >to iPlanet servlet engine shouldn't require any code changes.



  4. #4
    jeff Guest

    Re: JSP & Servlets vs. App Server


    On some appservers, like silverstream, you can write your jsp and servlets
    to interface with the appserver to take advantage of connection pooling,
    security, and transactions.

    "Jay" <jaymayers@juno.com> wrote:
    >
    >One advantage to using an appserver, is that it will handle and db connection
    >pooling that you app may require. We recently went from NetDynamics to using
    >Servlets and JSP in a system that was database driven. We have had many

    hurdles
    >to overcome when it came to creating a resource efficient method of db connection
    >pooling.
    >The advantage to using Servlets and JSP is that you are not tied to a particular
    >Appserver. The portability of moving your servlets and jsps from say JRUN
    >to iPlanet servlet engine shouldn't require any code changes.
    >
    >"MikeW" <MikeW@nospamplease.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on using JSP & Servlets or an

    >App
    >>Server, like Enhydra? Does anyone see advantages or disadvantages to either
    >>approach?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>MikeW

    >



  5. #5
    Stefano Guest

    Re: JSP & Servlets vs. App Server


    Hi,

    if you want connection pooling without an app server
    go here:
    http://www.codestudio.com/PoolMan/index.shtml

    connection pooling is not the difference between
    a simple Servlet Engine (JSP/Servlet) and AppServer.

    Best Regards,
    --- Stefano


    "MikeW" <MikeW@nospamplease.com> wrote:
    >
    >I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on using JSP & Servlets or an

    App
    >Server, like Enhydra? Does anyone see advantages or disadvantages to either
    >approach?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >MikeW



  6. #6
    Terry Guest

    Re: JSP & Servlets vs. App Server


    You might also look at http://www.javaexchange.com for connection pooling.


    "Stefano" <dg70@ematic.com> wrote:
    >
    >Hi,
    >
    >if you want connection pooling without an app server
    >go here:
    >http://www.codestudio.com/PoolMan/index.shtml
    >
    >connection pooling is not the difference between
    >a simple Servlet Engine (JSP/Servlet) and AppServer.
    >
    >Best Regards,
    >--- Stefano
    >
    >
    >"MikeW" <MikeW@nospamplease.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on using JSP & Servlets or an

    >App
    >>Server, like Enhydra? Does anyone see advantages or disadvantages to either
    >>approach?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>MikeW

    >



  7. #7
    Jan Guest

    Re: JSP & Servlets vs. App Server


    Jeff,

    Then you also have to mention that these Silverstream "pages" (as this is
    how Silverstream calls its Servlets written with their interface) are very
    proprietary and not portable to other application servers !!! No problem
    if you plan to do all your futur projects in Silverstream. I would advice
    to stick to the pure Sun Servlet API based Servlets though !!! Priorietary
    solutions are always a risk, Java is a stayer !

    Regards,
    Jan



    "jeff" <jeff@mpk.com> wrote:
    >
    >On some appservers, like silverstream, you can write your jsp and servlets
    >to interface with the appserver to take advantage of connection pooling,
    >security, and transactions.
    >
    >"Jay" <jaymayers@juno.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>One advantage to using an appserver, is that it will handle and db connection
    >>pooling that you app may require. We recently went from NetDynamics to

    using
    >>Servlets and JSP in a system that was database driven. We have had many

    >hurdles
    >>to overcome when it came to creating a resource efficient method of db

    connection
    >>pooling.
    >>The advantage to using Servlets and JSP is that you are not tied to a particular
    >>Appserver. The portability of moving your servlets and jsps from say JRUN
    >>to iPlanet servlet engine shouldn't require any code changes.
    >>
    >>"MikeW" <MikeW@nospamplease.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on using JSP & Servlets or

    an
    >>App
    >>>Server, like Enhydra? Does anyone see advantages or disadvantages to either
    >>>approach?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>
    >>>MikeW

    >>

    >



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center
 
 
FAQ
Latest Articles
Java
.NET
XML
Database
Enterprise
Questions? Contact us.
C++
Web Development
Wireless
Latest Tips
Open Source


   Development Centers

   -- Android Development Center
   -- Cloud Development Project Center
   -- HTML5 Development Center
   -- Windows Mobile Development Center